Author Topic: Robert Wright born Lanark  (Read 10254 times)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Wright born Lanark
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 18:58 BST (UK) »
If Robert Wright and Sarah Francis never married this Sarah may be a possibility - in 1841 living at Main Street, Rutherglen, Lanarkshire as below. 

James Francis 35 Lanarkshire   
Agnes Francis 14 Lanarkshire   
Sarah Francis 12 Lanarkshire   
Thos    Stobo  30 Lanarkshire   
Agnes Stobo 35    Scotland

In 1849 a Sarah Frances married a Thomas Ingram at Barony Glasgow and in 1851 I think she and husband Thomas Ingram (a weaver) and baby where lodging  in Rutherglen with father James Francis -a hand loom weaver born 1803 Ireland.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hard to fix Robert Wright around the time of son Robert Jnr.'s birth (although I think the 1851 census entry you found with a Robert Wright, weaver, unmarried and lodging looks good, Kay  ;)). He is certainly not at home with father and mother, Anthony and Mary, from everyone's earlier census entries as posted.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for their help.  I found an obituary for Robert Wright jnr that has a birth date of 17 March 1847 Lanark Scotland.  Would it be correct. He did marry Margaret Buttner in 1884 and called his farm "Thistledown".  It is a long shot but do you think that his birth could have Elizabeth Frew as mother? I have had another look at the deaths and the informants.  Elizabeth Wright wife with her X mark is on Robert snr and didn't have an other marriage.  Robert jnr has his daughter as informant.  He must have talked about his life otherwise where did Sarah Francis come from.  If his family didn't know about his mother it would have been left blank.
I am thrilled with all the information and am pleased that Anthony and Mary Wright were found.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
Re that 1851 census, the FreeCEN transcription also has Kingsonsknowe. The family surname is rendered WRGHT (no 'i') and Henry not Henery is a grandson.

You need to look at the original on SP and make up your own mind what you think it says.

Kingson's Knowe still exists. It's just south of the burgh of Lanark and north of New Lanark, on the way from one to the other.

Go to http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS8842 and click on 'Bankhead' and you will see Kingson's Knowe in the slightly larger map.

Or see http://maps.nls.uk/view/74427714 for how it was in about 1860. You can easily see that the general outline of Kingson's Knowe has not changed in 150 years.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 11:40 BST (UK) »
Not sure if marriage certs at this time included bride and groom's parents' names. From the Australian marriage index, Robert Jnr married Margaret on 12 Jun 1886 - ref 000426 & page no. 16316.

His death registration on 26 Jul 1931 certainly gave his parents as Robert Wright and Sarah Francis. From the Australian death index, ref 003297 & page no. 1818.

How great that you have found an obit for Robert Jnr which included his birth date. Haven't been able to see anything on the Scottish records for it so far. Not unusal though as official Scottish registration of BMDs only started from 1855.

With Kay's marriage cert for Robert Snr and Elizabeth Frew in 1856, they both certainly show as unmarried at that time. A Sarah Francis could well have been the name of Robert Jnr's mother, which his paternal granparents maybe taking care of him after his birth (as he showed with them from Lodger's entry on the 1851 census). One thing though, the grandson Robert in 1851 showed as aged 6 at the time of the census, so born around 1844-45. Not sure if you have confirmed Robert Jnr's age/date of birth in other documents too.

One thing to do with Elizabeth Frew, there are obviously issues to do with her that you would need to reconfirm maybe. As Kay mentioned, her parents' names don't match what you mentioned earlier. You mention, and I have also seen elsewhere, that she had previously also been married and had at least one child. Like Robert Jnr, Elizabeth Frew is showing as a spinster at the time of her 1856 marriage to Robert Jnr.

Monica  :)

Added: Any thoughts anyone on the maiden name of Elizabeth Frew's mother, also Elizabeth?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
As Kay mentioned, her parents' names don't match what you mentioned earlier.
I re-read that to mean that it was Elizabeth Frew jr who was the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Frew sr (later maried to Robert Wright) and Norman Buchanan, distiller. When was the younger Elizabeth born?

There is a Norman Buchanan, 34, distiller, born Govan, in Greenock in 1851 with wife Agnes, daughter Elizabeth Henney, 16 and son William Henney, 12, both children born Glasgow. Norman Buchanan and Agnes Henney were married in Glasgow in 1842. He is possibly the 20-year-old Norman Buchanan, iron work apprentice, in a household with Hellen Wilson and Agnes Thomson in Castle Street, Glasgow in 1841. He is probably the Norman Buchanan who owned the Isle of Jura Distillery and the Caol Ila Distillery on the Isle of Islay in the 1850s, but Wikipedia confuses him with a Norman Buchanan born in 1915!

Also the fact that young Robert b c 1844 is with his grandparents in the 1851 census suggests that he was probably illegitimate too.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
I agree Forfarian re margill68 meaning that the father of Elizabeth's illegitimate daughter was  Norman Buchanan

I thought this might be Elizabeth Frew in 1851 - with father James with a second wife  -Living at Grove End Cottage, New Monkland .  I presume the various versions of the surnames are mistranscriptions

James Frew 73 Coal Master - B New Monkland
Ratchael Frias 54 Wife
Ratchael Rue 15 Daughter
Elizabeth Rue 27 b Glasgow  - Daughter/ Visitor
Mary Rue    23 Daughter
Jannet Caraick 26  Servant

Kay

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you both  :) That makes sense now.

I think Elizabeth Frew Jnr may have been born c. 1854. From trees, she later married James Ford Sandilands in 1871 in Queensland.

So, Elizabeth Jnr won't show on Scottish censuses prior to her heading off with family to Australia. Confirmation will come from her Australian marriage and death certs (death in 1923 in Queensland).

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Any thoughts on Elizabeth Jnr's mother's maiden name? Elizabeth....[Arthur]?

Monica