Author Topic: John Richard Mcafee born 1863/64  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Richard Mcafee born 1863/64
« on: Tuesday 15 September 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace John Richard McAfee's roots in Enniskillen, Fermanagh. Father John McAfee.

He was born there in 1863/64. The only record found next is the 1891 England Census entry which shows he is a police constable in Staffordshire. He marries Annie Elizabeth Lister in 1893 in Wolstanton, Staffordshire, and his daughter Mary Rebecca Mcafee is born 1896.

Can't find him on 1881, 1871 census or before.

There is anotherJohn Mcafee born 1865 Macroom, Cork, listed on 1881 census, living with his father John Mcafee born Lisburn. But this is a different John! 

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions how to research BMD for Enniskillen or any leads on other Mcafees born in this area. Have seen links on this Forum which I'll look at too. Marriage certificate for John Richard McAfee being ordered and hopefully that will provide profession of father and witness clues.  :)

Jules

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Richard Mcafee born 1863/64
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 20:07 BST (UK) »
Statutory birth registration stared in Ireland on 1.1.1864. Have looked for this birth in 1864/65 in Co Fermanagh in the stat records but don’t see it. That suggests it was in 1863 or earlier. To search for that, you will need to rely on church baptism records. Do you know what denomination John Richard McAfee was?

McAfee is not a common name in Fermanagh. There's only 8 in the 1901 census, a mix of RC and Church of Ireland (i.e. Anglican).
Elwyn

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn

I don't know the denomination. Birth most likely to have been in 1863.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
The Church of Ireland records for Enniskillen c 1863/64 are lost. (Destroyed in a fire in 1922). The RC records survive and are available on this link:

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes
Elwyn

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
Great news.

Have narrowed down the exact parish where John Richard McAfee was born! Obtained from a Staffordshire police record register from 1887.

He was born in the parish of Cleenish, Fermanagh. Just south of Enniskillen.

Appointed in Jan 1887; age given 24 and 3 months, so he was born around Oct 1862. 

Now I need to find out to if BMD parish records exist for Cleenish.

Jules

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
There’s just 4 McAfee households in Fermanagh in the 1901 census. The only one in Cleenish is this, in Tonyloman, so perhaps that’s John’s family:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Drumane/Tonyloman/1365848/

and in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Drumane/Tonyloman/517523/

They were Church of Ireland. The bad news is that the Cleenish church baptism records for around 1862 were lost in the 1922 fire in Dublin.

Griffiths Valuation for 1862 has a John McAvey on plot 22 in Tonyloman. By 1891 it’s Catherine McAvey. McAvey and McAfee are interchangeable, so I’d suspect John & Catherine were husband & wife and that's her in the 1901 census.

You can use the revaluation records to see when the property changed from John to Catherine.

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b.htm

From PRONI wills abstracts:

McAfee Sarah Jane of Tonyloman Belnaleck county Fermanagh spinster died 4 January 1925 at the Union Hospital Enniskillen county Fermanagh Administration Belfast 26 February to Annie Russell widow and Rebecca Harvey married woman. Effects £159 6s. 1d.
Elwyn

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 September 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for those details.

Sarah Jane McAfee mentions Rebecca Harvey (Extract Will)

I found a marriage for Rebecca M'Afee and Thomas George Harvey in 1891 Rathdown

And found on Irish Census 1911:

Rebecca (M'Afee?) Harvey born in Fermanagh in 1867 and Thomas George Harvey gardener
In 1911 they were living in Dublin at  House 11 in Oldconnaught (Rathmichael, Dublin)
Sons John James (18) and George Thomas (10)

I think Rebecca M'Afee is the sister of Sarah Jane McAfee, and I believe they could be sisters of John Richard McAfee.

John Richard's father was a farmer as per his marriage banns (Staffordshire)