Author Topic: Researching the CHINGLES Family name.  (Read 3317 times)

Offline KCHING86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching the CHINGLES Family name.
« on: Tuesday 15 September 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, all very new to this, my surname is chingles and am very interested in my family's name. Any help would be much appreciated

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Researching the CHINGLES Family name.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

For starters, why not look at the Surnames Interest Table here on RootsChat?

Scroll down to the bottom of any RC page, and you will find (under Your Tools) Surname Interests.
Click on that, and then Quick Search.
Then click on "C" - the initial letter of Chingles.

Then just ask questions! We all like to help.
Just don't mention the names of any living people (it's against RC rules!).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kching,

Welcome to RootsChat from me too :D

Are there any particular Chingles you are researching ? There are quite a few from Durham on www.freebmd.co.uk

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
You appear to have a very unusual surname - at least for England and Wales

FreeBMD   http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ have a transcribed database of the birth, marriage and death registrations with the General Register Office for England and Wales - that's official civil birth, marriage and death registrations.

I put your surname in there and specified births for the period Q3 1837 (when civil registration started)  to Q4 1950 anywhere in England and Wales and only got 10 results ! 8 were born in County Durham, 1 in Tynemouth and 1 in Cannock in Staffordshire. That appears to be a very exclusive club you belong to :-)

Of course there 'may' be others which had spelling variations which were not picked up in the search.

So, what is it you are looking for? Are you starting to trace your family history or is your interest more of a general nature about the surname and its origins?

If you can tell us what you are hoping to find out about then we will try and help if we can.

Boo

Offline KCHING86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the replies. I am from that area (North East). Would be nice to know a bit ov my family's past and where the name originated from as its unusual. Thanks again for the info

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 September 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Whenever you are ready to ask for specific help, we'll pitch in and do what we can.

Good luck with your search

Boo

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 September 15 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi KChing

Tickety Boo has given you the link to FreeBMD, one of the key sites that will help you. Here are some others:
www.familysearch.org
Use the references from FreeBMD to order birth, death & marriage certificates from the General Register Office  here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
www.freereg.org.uk
www.durhamrecordsonline.com (pay per view site but good free index and modest fees)
www.genuki.org.uk

Your local public library and/or nearest LDS family history centre will have subscriptions to at least one of the main pay sites (Find My Past, Ancestry, The Genealogist) where you will be able to access more information including census entries, WW1 records etc.

If you look for the name on familysearch (confining your search to the UK so it doesn't get drowned out by US results) Norfolk does seem to have a good proportion of the Chingles events and someone on the Norfolk or the general board for England may be able to help you find the origins of the name. Is it a variant of Shingles?

The earliest Chingles that I can see in Co Durham (after only a quick check) is John Chingles, who was born in Hempstead, Norfolk, but was in South Shields by 1846 and married there in the 1850s. He was originally a mariner but came ashore at some point.

To work out whether you are linked to the John Chingles who came to South Shields in the 1840s, or another Chingles family, we would need more information such as the name of a deceased Chingles relative we can help you trace backwards. Rootschat policy is that living people must not be named on the forum. Can you give us the name of your closest deceased Chingles relative? Grandfather? Great grandfather? (I am assuming from your post that Chingles is your paternal line).

Hope this helps.

Offline KCHING86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 September 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
Alan Chingles was my dads name and his dad was James Chingles , Edwin was James brother I believe , but after that I don't know anything

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 September 15 08:19 BST (UK) »
Just to get you started:

www.freebmd.org.uk shows us that James F Chingles married Mary Neville in Gateshead in 1948 & one of their children was your father. James Francis Chingles died in 1985 and Mary Chingles looks to have died in 2005.

Freebmd also shows two Chingles birth registrations with the mother’s maiden name of Close -  James F in 1919 & Edwin in 1923.

John F Chingles married Agnes Henderson in Dec quarter 1917 in Gateshead. Agnes had been married before (to William Henderson in 1911) and her maiden name was Close.

There is a possible death registration for Agnes Chingle in 1948, aged 59. There also is a likely death for John F Chingles in 1950, aged 69.

This should mean that John F Chingles was born about 1881, but I can’t find him at the moment - this may be a name subject to various spellings. The safest thing to do would be to buy a copy of the marriage certificate of John F Chingles & Agnes Henderson - this will also help you trace Agnes, who is equally related to you. The marriage certificate will give you the names of their fathers.

The good news is that the names Francis & Edwin feature in the family of the John Chingles born in Norfolk I mentioned in my previous post, but I have to go shortly and I haven't yet found out how John F fits into the Norfolk born John's family.

I also strongly urge you to have a play on the websites I mentioned earlier as you will know more about the family than you realise and you will be able to pick up clues others will miss.