Author Topic: Tippet Family of Wendron  (Read 3799 times)

Offline daftoldbat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tippet Family of Wendron
« on: Tuesday 15 September 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Not been on here for ages so bear with me. I know the subject of Gaverigan Tippet (ca. 1624-1666) has been discussed on here by several members, but has anyone attempted, like me, to link him to the Gaverigan family? Mary Gaverigan, 5th daughter of John Gaverigan of Gaverigan, married Richard Typpett-Nankivell in the 1500s and Iīm convinced that Gaverigan Tippet is a descendant of this couple. I have had no success whatsoever in finding any mention of him prior to his time in Wendron, but both his and his wife Janeīs wills were proven in Bodmin, which would suggest that they moved back into that area before death. There were a lot of Typpetts, with various spellings, in and around St. Columb Major in the 1500s and 1600s. Can anyone help with this theory?

Offline hughnankivell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Tippet Family of Wendron
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 December 15 03:13 GMT (UK) »
In relation to your query relating to the Tippet Family of Wendron, I am not sure whether or not the following is of any assistance to you.

I am Hugh Nankivell, and live in Mount Pleasant, Western Australia (to distinguish me from other Hugh Nankivells).

I appear to be descended from Richard Typpett Nankivell of St. Columb Major, Cornwall and St. Wenn, Cornwall and his wife, Mary Gaverigan of Gaverigan, Cornwall.   In my records, they had a number of children, viz.

(i) John Nankivell of St. Wenn and Killignock (born about 1580) who married Katherine Arscott of Tidwell-in-Budley, Devon, from whom I appear to descend;

(ii) Marke (or Mark) Nankivell of St. Columb Major and St. Wenn (died 1647) who married Phillippa Dagge of St. Eath (or St. Teath ?)  - she was buried on 3 January 1654 at St. Kew; and

(iii) William Nankivell of St. Columb Major and St. Wenn, who was buried on 29th. November 1647 at St. Columb Major - I do not know whether he married, or if he did marry, whether he had any children.

In relation to Marke Nankivell (see (ii) above (who died in 1647), and his wife, Phillippa Dagge, they are recorded as having had at least two children, viz.

(a) Gaverigan Tippett (or Tippott) Nankivell of St. Columb Major and St. Wenn; and

(b) Ann Nankivell.

This Gaverigan Tippett (or Tippott) Nankivell (see (a) above) may possibly be the person whom you are looking for.   I have no dates of birth or death recorded for him, and no wife recorded for him, nor any children recorded for him, but he may have married and had children.

In relation to the above lineage, this is all recorded in a number of documents of circa 1620 or thereabouts, that are in the British Library in London, the originals of which I perused in October 2013, and from which I made extracts.

You may care also to have a look at the College of Heralds' Visitation to Cornwall in 1620, under Nankivell, which is in the British Library.   The British Library also has handwritten records (probably circa 1620) of the Gaverigan family, including Mary Gaverigan who married Richard Typpett Nankivell, and of their children and grandchildren (or of those grandchildren who existed at the time that the said handwritten record was created).

Hugh Nankivell

Offline daftoldbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 December 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh,

I cannot possibly begin to tell you how much your reply means to me - you have absolutely made my year!! I have as much information as I could glean from the Visitations of 1620, but not under the Nankivells. I have made a family tree going backwards and forwards from Mary Gaverigan and Richard Typpett Nankivell, which includes Marke and his wife - but had no record of their children. I have spent three years trying to find any record of Gaverigan Tippet prior to his life in Wendron but could find no mention of him whatsoever in St. Columb Major or St. Wenn, though I was 99.9% certain that he was connected with the Nankivell family. To see his name in print as a son of Marke and Phillippa Dagge is the best Christmas present I could have received. This must be he, as he was presumably born between 1600 and 1630, his first child arriving in 1646 in Wendron. Iīm assuming that the only way to get at the British Library records is by a personal visit? I will be eternally grateful for your information and hope you and your family have a wonderful (warm, damn you) Christmas.

Your several-dozen-times-removed cousin, Judith

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 17 01:58 GMT (UK) »
This is probably old news....but I thought it would be worth sharing.  If Marke Nankevill and Phillippa Dagge are the parents of Gaverigan Tippet (who had the 1666 will....the fuller from Wendron), then this goes back 5 generations before Marke.  Any thoughts?
Tippett, Nankivell, Gaveregan

Offline daftoldbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 March 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I had all that, together with Mary Gaveriganīs ancestors going back ad infinitum, just couldnīt find any definitive evidence that Gaverigan was descended from her marriage to Richard Typpett Nankivell. So intensely satisfying to find that the evidence exists.

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 March 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
OK, great!  How far back were you able to go with Mary Gaverigan's family?  I haven't worked on that yet.  Maybe you can point me in the right direction.  Thanks,  Paul

Offline daftoldbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 March 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Will make some notes and get back to you. If I remember correctly (havenīt worked on my tree in ages) some of her ancestors were quite illustrious.

Offline paul5534

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 March 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
That would be great!  Thanks for your help.