Author Topic: Burial of James COBBOLD - 17 Jan 1839 ONEHOUSE St John the Baptist  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
Burial of James COBBOLD - 17 Jan 1839 ONEHOUSE St John the Baptist
« on: Tuesday 15 September 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
NBI records that this James C was age 62 when he died (ie b abt 1777). However, newspaper reports point to a James Cobbold having died of apoplexy in Jan 1839 aged 52 (ie b abt 1787), inquest at Rattlesden.
If the newspapers have got it right (and NBI got it wrong) then a DOB of abt 1787 means there's a possibility that apoplectic JC was the son of James C/Elizabeth Bradbrook. If so, this has big implications for the latter couple's family tree, as their son James is often represented in famtrees as being the one who mar Lydia Willoughby (and he lived to his nineties).
Could sks please therefore check the original Onehouse burial registers for 17 Jan 1839 - was James really 62??
Thanks!
PS I ought to add that I can't find a James C bp abt 1777 only a John C, whereas Jas C son of James & Elizabeth was bp Rattlesden 1787. Unless 1777 JC was nonconformist??

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of James COBBOLD - 17 Jan 1839 ONEHOUSE St John the Baptist
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 September 15 17:58 BST (UK) »
As you note the son of James & Elizabeth baptised 16 Sep 1787 died age 91. Confirmed family on census returns,

JAMES    COBBOLD    1788    1879    SOMERSHAM    Suffolk

I cannot find an earlier baptism for James Cobbold but there were a couple marriages to a James Cobbold.

Eizabeth Frost 23 Oct 1794 Rougham (They had children baptised Rougham)

Jane Prikes 8 Nov 1803 Hadleigh,Suffolk (No apparent baptisms)

There were other baptisms in Suffolk with the father James, mothers Charlotte & Jemima.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 September 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Since there is only one James Cobbold bc.1788 Rattlesden i.e. born and baptised 1787, son of James and Bradbrook then he clearly is the one who married Lydia and duly lived until 1879 (clearly shown as born Rattlesden on the census).

The one who died 1839 albeit bc.1777 or 1787 has got to be someone else altogether (and not the Rattlesden James).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 September 15 19:57 BST (UK) »
I note there was also a James bp.1784 Rattlesden, son of John and Mary.   Perhaps the James who died in 1839 is this one.

Annette

(Forget that - this one died 1784).
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 September 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is relevant but in my own searches for Corbell , I have found it can be corrupted to Cobbold or Corbold

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=513543.msg5610331#msg5610331

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
then he clearly is the one who married Lydia and duly lived until 1879 (clearly shown as born Rattlesden on the census).
There's isn't anything to definitely link James=Lydia to JC/Bradbrook. Eg the censuses and DOD  point to a fairly fluid DOB of 1788-1792 Rattlesden for James who mar Lydia. There seem to be other Cobbold's who escaped the late 18thc PRs eg Phoebe 'late Cobbold' who ?mar George Keeble, possibly even another PC who ?mar George Nunn (they are I think different from the PC I mention further down), so I've got to stay sceptical. Hence, I'm working on eliminating the apoplectic JC; I can't just dismiss him.
Admittedly, there are a couple of positive indicators for the JC/Bradbrook connection but they're not concrete enough:-
eg
some of J&L's children were bp Corbould (he's Corbould in his own marr PR) as were apparently the children of Thomas brother of JC/Bradbrook ;
and a son was named Levi (as was a son of Charles son of JC/Bradbrook)

Not sure if this is relevant but in my own searches for Corbell , I have found it can be corrupted to Cobbold or Corbold
Thanks David. Yep, the name certainly wasn't spelled consistently. Just amongst the Rattlesden  Cobbold's I've found Corble (especially in 1851) --- Corbould (eg the children of James/Lydia and of the above-mentioned Thomas who himself was bp 'Cobble' and seems to have been Corbel when he marr ) --- even Kibbill (John K = Phoebe Cobbold 1799 Rattlesden, they had a dtr Phebe bp Kibbill 1800, son John bp Cobbold 1803...!)

Birtle