Author Topic: Clara Morrell- Lookup in the Tyne and Wear Archives  (Read 2304 times)

Offline graniteknighte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clara Morrell- Lookup in the Tyne and Wear Archives
« on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

This is my first post here as a member of the group and I am trying to unravel a bit of mystery with my Morrell family of County Durham, specifically Sunderland. My roadblock begins with my third great grandmother Clara Reynolds (who married William Morrell on 04 September 1881 in All Saints Church, Monkwearmouth.) Everything is going swimmingly for the family until the 1911 UK Census. Previously Will and Clara had been living in Garden Place in Sunderland, with him working as either a ship caulker (a term usable for boilermaking which is what his profession was). By the 1911 UK Census however, she is listed as living as married at 17 D'Arcy Street in Sunderland with a bunch of the children but her husband is missing and they are not living at the house the family had lived in for the previous 20 years (That was on Garden Place).

My question to you guys is regarding Clara. There is only one Clara Morrell who lived the correct number of years who died in Sunderland in 1922. According to Durham Records online she died in the workhouse and is buried in an unmarked grave in Bishopwearmouth Cemetery.

The workhouse records (including admission and deaths among others) are held by Tyne and Wear Archives, could someone go and find Clara for me within them?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Morrell- Lookup in the Tyne and Wear Archives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
Similar post on Clara's husband William (to avoid duplication)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730851.new#new
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline graniteknighte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:50 BST (UK) »
Rosie- Sorry about the duplication, but I wasn't sure if it would be wrong to ask about two separate avenues in one post. Plus, in this one I am hoping someone can actually do the lookup for me.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

No need to apologise  :)  I just drew attention to your other post as we do tend to get carried away on here.  ;D

I realised that you were mainly after a 'workhouse lookup' on this thread. 

Rosie

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
I can't help with the look up, sorry but if you have a more specific date for her death than '1922' that would really help anyone who is able to do a look up for you. It would narrow down the search considerably.

Bear in mind that she may have been in the hospital area of the workhouse. Its a common mistake for people to see workhouse and immediately think destitution, but it was the only access to medical facilities for everyday folk.

Do you have her death certificate?

Boo

Offline graniteknighte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
No Death certificate I am afraid, I was debating purchasing it today but I know how little information they contain compared to my American death certificates for example, so I didn't want to waste a bundle of money on something not fully 100% helpful. I do have her date of death though 20 March 1922 which is from the family bible.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
I just looked at that burial record on Durham Records Online for Clara Morrell  who was buried 22 March 1922 in Bishopwearmouth Cemetery

It says she was the wife of John Morrell ? Not William?

Boo

Offline graniteknighte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 18:14 BST (UK) »
Boo-

The problem with that is the husband's name was William and that she did not remarry (I have checked through the FreeBMD and FindMyPast). My thought being that the registrar of the death got the data from the workhouse and the workhouse somehow had the wrong data. It could also be that William's full name was William John Morrell for example and he could have gone by John, but I have no way to prove it.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 12:49 BST (UK) »
As you have Clara's death date it may be worth asking the archives whether they are able to do a look up for you explaining that you are not (I presume) in the UK.  Sorry I have not had any dealings with them so don't know if they are likely to do this and I live down south so no chance of me offering.  :)

Rosie