Author Topic: looking for some info on great great grandparents  (Read 4305 times)

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: looking for some info on great great grandparents
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 12:10 BST (UK) »
John could also possibly be Johan/Johann?
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
I think I may have possibly found 'your' Margaret Walker and have found out quite a bit about her BUT there is really no point in me printing it all out without some further info. from Canada that this is the person.

You need to trace the marriage of Thomas McCreath and Margaret Walker to establish her parents names OR you could obtain a copy of her death certificate (d. Blackfalds, Alberta in 1980), again to see who are stated as her parents.

The facts so far:

1. Thomas McCreath was still a bachelor on the 1921 Census (in Ontario) which was taken on 1st June 1921.
2. There is no likely Margaret Walker bc.1884 Scotland in 1921 Census.

This suggests that Margaret Walker arrived after 1st June 1921.   You say they married 1921 but is this just a 'guesstimate'?   

The only Margaret Walker of the right age leaving the UK before 1921 was on 10/5/1907 together with a mother Mrs. Cath. Walker - however, when I viewed passenger records of their arrival in Canada there was a line through Margaret Walker's entry with a note to say 'died 14/5/1907'  so clearly this is not your Margaret.

The one I found who I think may possibly be yours is a Margaret Robertson Walker b.19/1/1885 Motherwell, Lanarkshire.   She arrived on 12/8/1922 - she also had 3 brothers who arrived the same year (some pretty close together) but all on different dates (Andrew R. arrived 19/3/1922 and duly married a young widow on 30/6/1922, Robert R. arrived 10/8/1922, William arrived 12/6/1922 - they were headed for Galt, Ontario where they had an uncle Hugh McFadyen.

Their parents were a James Walker and Margaret Robertson.

There is no point in elaborating more at this point in case this is not the right Margaret but you really need to locate either her marriage or death record to establish just who her parents were and to identify just which of the many Margaret Walkers born circa 1884 Scotland is yours (especially if the one I've found is not the right one).

Certainly, in June 1921 Thomas still single, no trace of your Margaret anywhere, suggesting she arrived in Canada after this date.   The first Margaret Walker to appear in passenger records after that date is the one I found arriving August 1922 who was at least going to Ontario where Thomas was (albeit a different part).  Possibly a marriage not long after Aug.1922 (like the Andrew who married 3 months after he arrived).

If you cannot trace when/where the marriage of Thomas and Margaret took place then I would suggest you get her death certificate - died (or buried) 2/2/1980 Blackfalds, Alberta.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:10 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette7,
     'MissHaley' has started a new thread re:
     Margaret mccreath (nee)Walker born in perth, perthshire looking for her parents
     See:
     www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730883.msg5756900#msg5756900
               Regards,     Dod.

Sorry Monica, posts crossed.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline MissHaley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
thank you so much annette, yes i made another post just to focus on margaret but i will inform anyone else looking into this that i have found a good solid foundation to start with and will do some looking before reposting any more questions or asking for any other help  thanks you everyone sooo much i appreciate everything!

Annette if you dont mind me getting back to you, i will look for as much info as i can to validate your find and if it ends up being the same margarett I would love to see what you have found!