Author Topic: Bridgewater River Connection  (Read 4089 times)

Offline SarahT4321

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridgewater River Connection
« on: Wednesday 16 September 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I've been able to trace our family but am stuck with John Gilley. He came to the US in the 1700's, but I know nothing about his life in Ireland. Nor can I find any connection to family who may still be in Ireland. All I know (from an interview that was done and published in the US) is that he said he lived near Cork, Ireland near the Bridgewater River in Castle Isles. Until recently I had focused my search in Cork, but just ran across the Bridgewater River in Waterford. Wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a Castle Isle (or something that was called that in the 1700's) near this river.

Thanks!

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgewater River Connection
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 16:18 BST (UK) »
What is the source of the information that there is a Bridgewater river in Waterford?

Offline SarahT4321

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 16:42 BST (UK) »
My apologies, that should have been Wexford. Sorry about that, and thank you for finding the mistake.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 15 02:23 BST (UK) »
What is the source of the information that there is a Bridgewater river in Wexford?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 15 08:45 BST (UK) »
www.rootschat.com/links/01g6c/

Link about Bridgewater river in Wexford

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 01:39 BST (UK) »

That is not an authoritative source.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 09:23 BST (UK) »

Why? there's a description and map pinpointing the loccation...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 15:16 BST (UK) »

Why? there's a description and map pinpointing the loccation...

Aye, a description by whom? The link is to an open source project, where anyone can upload a photo and description for a geographic location. That person could know nothing at all about where he took the photo. I could upload a photo of the same location, and give it a different description, i.e. name.  Authoritative sources say the river is the Bridgetown river, and the nearby village is certainly Bridgetown, not Bridgewater.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
...(from an interview that was done and published in the US)..  he lived near Cork, Ireland near the Bridgewater River in Castle Isles.  and now we're miles away in Wexford!!

Near Cork City? County?

This place is nowhere near Cork!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.