Author Topic: Searching for Bridgewater River  (Read 1992 times)

Offline SarahT4321

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Bridgewater River
« on: Wednesday 16 September 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I've been able to trace our family but am stuck with John Gilley. He came to the US in the 1700's, but I know nothing about his life in Ireland. Nor can I find any connection to family who may still be in Ireland. All I know (from an interview that was done and published in the US) is that he said he lived near Cork, Ireland near the Bridgewater River in Castle Isles. Until recently I had focused my search in Cork, but just ran across the Bridgewater River in Waterford. Wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a Castle Isle (or something that was called that in the 1700's) near this river. Or any other helpful information!

Thanks!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Bridgewater River
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
A couple of points.
 - This is the Co. Wexford forum. I think you meant to post this in the separate forum for Co. Waterford?
- I have a suspicion that "Bridgewater" river  could be a mistake or mishearing for the river "Blackwater".
- The Blackwater is a significant, large  river which run through both counties Cork and Waterford.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 15 00:46 BST (UK) »
It's on both forums.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730913.msg5757285#msg5757285

I think the Bridgewater shopping centre is throwing things astray. It's listed under Wexford and Wicklow. It is on the Avoca river.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 15 08:50 BST (UK) »

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
I spent ages looking for that river, well done.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 September 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
Could Castle Isles be Castle Lyons misheard, it's not far from the Bridgeriver in Cork, or have I got my rivers mixed up.

Yep looks like I have Bridge River flows into the Blackwater, back to the maps

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 September 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
The river flowing into Ballyteigue is the Bridgetown river, and OSI maps show a historic feature called "Broad water" - no mention of Bridgewater.
The area shown in the link is reclaimed land from the late 19th century, with man-made drainage channels, etc.. Seems to be no other source saying this is the Bridgewater river?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 September 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
I've looked at so many maps now, I can't remember which was which but I think I saw the name marked on Google maps on the iPad but I can't find it on Google maps on the PC. I'll look again later.
Either way it doesn't go anywhere near Cork!

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 September 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
I have now learnt that the link I have posted gives incorrect information. Now removed  :)

Thank you to Wexflyer for bringing this to my attention.

Conahy