Author Topic: Wilson/Ferguson St Ninians  (Read 3115 times)

Offline SJamieson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson/Ferguson St Ninians
« on: Wednesday 16 September 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi new poster, hope this follows board/site etiquette.
I've been researching my family tree now, and usually manage to work around any problems, but one has been bugging me and I hope a fresh pair of eyes might point me in the right direction.

My Great Great Grandfather was Robert Wilson born in St Ninians, 17th May 1858 Died in Stenhousemuir, 1st January 1929. He was married to my Great Great Grandmother Elizabeth Lockhart on 24th July 1885. Try as I might, it's proving difficult to unearth statutory records for Robert's Birth. Though Family Search's copy of the Indexes show the above birth Date https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQXV-X41, Scotlands People shows no Wilson births in St Ninians in 1858, only one Robert Wilson birth in Stirlingshire (in Falkirk) in 1858.

Working around that, the Marriage and Death Certificates show his parents to be John Wilson and Christina Wilson nee Ferguson. I could also get his Brother Alexander's Birth Record (St Ninians 14th July 1855) which shows John as being from Culsalmond in Aberdeenshire (born around 1812) and Christina from Denny (born around 1823), It also shows they were apparently married in 1847 in Culsalmond, and had two older boys.

The 1851 Census http://bit.ly/1QGqXSz shows Christina living with her mother Agnes, Born Larbert in 1792/1793 (no father Listed, but neither is John) and her two older boys John, and David.

Now I'm struggling to find any of them John, Christina, Agnes, John, or David in the Parish records, so I presume they either couldn't afford to do so or had no interest in registering on the parish. But more disconcertingly there don't appear to be any statutory records for the deaths of Christina between 1885, and 1929 (Robert's Marriage and Death), John between 1859 and 1885 (Robert's Birth and Marriage), or Agnes after 1851 (after 1851 Census)

Nor do they (any of them) appear to appear on the 1861 census for Stirlingshire. A bit of a clue might be from Robert's Marriage Certificate which shows he was usually resident in New Monkland, but a search of Lanarkshire for any of these events has no more luck.

I wondered if anyone had any other clues, that I might be missing, I've been trying to find a way to work out the details of John's parents (Scotland's People has three John Wilsons born close enough to Culsalmond in the correct time period to make it difficult to be sure) but Agnes provides her own problems with no maiden name to work from and 7 Agnes's registered as Born in Larbert in 1792/93 .

Thanks in Advance for any light that can be shed,

Stuart

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson/Ferguson St Ninians
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi are they this family in 1861?

Jno Ferguson 31 occ Blacksmith b Renfrewshire
Christa 28
Robt 2
Jno 1
All others born Campsie
Residing Castle Bank Street, Govan
Keyboard86

Oops ignore wrong surname, try again KB!
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again,  another attempt for 1861!?

John Wilson 45 b Aberdeenshire
William 8
Alexander 5
Robert 2
David 0
Residing New Road,  St Ninian
Keyboard86

Offline SJamieson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
:) That one sounds possible, The Age of John doesn't quite match up with Alexander's Birth Certificate, I didn't know of the existence of a William, or another David (perhaps if the first David died in Infancy he wasn't counted as an existing child on Alexander's Birth Certificate) but John's Birthplace, and Robert and Alexander's ages tying up looks good.
Thanks for that, will download that Census page tonight, and search for John's birth based on that age.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census noted by keyboard86 also lists Christian Ferguson. It would appear that John Wilson and Christian (Christina) were not married as Robert's 1858 birth is actually listed on SP under Robert Ferguson ( although John Wilson is recorded as the father on the certificate). You may therefore need to look for a death of Christian/ Christina Ferguson rather than Wilson.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again 1871 census :-

John Wilson 56 b Aberdeenshire
David 10
Margaret 7
Ann 4
Christina Ferguson 46 b Denny
Residing at Back Houses, Cumbernauld, Dunbartonshire

Offline SJamieson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 September 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks,
Still there in 1881 (on Main street)
John 70
Christina back to Wilson 57
Robert 23
Ann 14

Offline SJamieson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 September 15 00:15 BST (UK) »
John dies April 4th 1881 Fathers name John Wilson Mother's name unknown.

The only Birth that matches that in Culsamond is one to John Wilson, and Janet Galloway (misspelt Gallua) March (Baptised 8th) 1814 which splits the difference on some of the ages given on census/certificates over the years.

Offline SJamieson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 September 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
Christina dies 1887 Father Donald Ferguson, Mother Unknown. (presumably Agnes from the 1851 Census)

That's got me moving again thanks for all the help.  :D