Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Anne Reid (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 6)  (Read 29749 times)

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Anne Reid (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 6)
« on: Friday 18 September 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Was it that bad, no one has started a thread on it?

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Anne Reid (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 6)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Was it that bad, no one has started a thread on it?
The original "new series" thread was resurrected.

I watched it, then nodded off and missed the end.  I thought she needed a good talking to.  Mad woman.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
I was quite interested in John Reid and the events leading to his transportation , but I found Anne Reid's reactions strange to say the least. She seemed to decide that her ancestor must really have been innocent and that he had been 'framed' by his father in law without any evidence and it was a little extreme to wish a horrible death to all concerned !

Not the best of episodes, for me at least.

Christine
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 September 15 12:04 BST (UK) »
I thought the part where she kept laughing about what her g.g.uncle had done, drunkenness etc. was hilarious, I save it for my husband to see when he came in.  The rest did annoy me.  Why was she so uptight about how her g.g.grandfather had been treated, and blamed his f.i.l who, although she didn't seem to realise it, was also her ancestor.  He would have been one of her g.g.g.grandfathers.  Also, I don't know why the BBC paid for her to have a freebie to Tasmania (Van Diemens Land) - and presumably paid for her niece to fly over from Australia to meet up with her.  All that info is available on line - I know as I've got similar info about my 2 x g.g.aunt and the man she met and married in Van Diemens Land - also a convict.

Lizzie

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
I have just watched this on catch-up........I am TOTALLY flabbergasted!!

She was told by the expert in Tazzy that the £20 to £40  berth to return home was the annual wage of most laborours, and still we did not see her compute that her drunken hero had attempted to steal in the order of a years wage from his father-in-law.  And yes, that "horrid man" WAS also her ancestor.

£50 in 1842 was the equivalent of about £4,500. Perhaps Annie Reid just has SO MUCH money she can't understand what a HUGE sum that was in 1842.

The woman stated she was "proud to be the ancestor of a convict" !! No-one even bothered to put that right!

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
What a strange attitude for her to take.

When we found OH's gtx2 grandfather had to do 5yrs hard labour for stealing a cheque of a similar value C1870 we thought he deserved it. We were more concerned for his wife who had to support their 15 children, not all of whom were still at home though, but 8 under 10.

I enjoyed the part about a convict's life aboard ship and on arrival in Tasmania. We could do with more about transportation. They have so much information available in Australia.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 September 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
"Was it that bad, no one has started a thread on it?"

Yes.

The over the top hysterical laughter at the fact her ancestor was a drunk, not funny for his wife and the rest of the family, or the community, or the children he was meant to be teaching.
The threats and wishing horrible deaths on others -all very unneccessary, I thought.
After all the detested father in law did raise his grandson, feed and clothe him, despite the fact the father had stolen a fair amount of money from him.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 September 15 14:12 BST (UK) »
Right I haven't been a fan of this series as I find it a bit "dumbed down" especially how the "experts" say oh can you read that, then without waiting for a reply whip out transcribed version for the celebs to read.
But this one took the biscuit!!
I'm sure Annie Reid is a lovely lady but she did my head in!
She jumped to so many conclusions and what really annoyed me was how she felt the convict bloke was so hard done to and was picked on by his father in law (the father in law that HE defrauded and who was now raising his kids)!
Yes sending prisoners to the other side of the works was very harsh and inhumane but he wasn't exactly a saint was he!!
I actually shouted at the tele and woke up the dog!
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 September 15 14:19 BST (UK) »
I managed to stay awake throughout :P
I was waiting for the next strange reaction to the information!
Why do people say ancestor when they mean descendant? ???
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->