Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Anne Reid (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 6)  (Read 29736 times)

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" Anne Reid (WDYTYA Series 12 Episode 6)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
I too have to agree with what has been posted.  Enjoyed learning about convicts being sent to Australia.  But I could not understand her saying that she blamed his father in law.  After all John Reid had committed a crime and he was punished for it.  Nobody made him to do it.   

Found my self shouting at her while watching on my computer. 

Cheers

Anne
Canada
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 September 15 19:10 BST (UK) »

Very well said. You are so right.

I think we can all sometimes feel we know an ancestor and perhaps sympathise with them. But at the end of the day we mostly have no clue whether any of our ancestors were good, bad, angelic, evil, friendly, grumpy, quiet, loud, violent, timid etc etc.
Looby :)
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 September 15 19:18 BST (UK) »
I agree with everything that everyone says here, which must be a first. Yes, it's incredibly annoying when people say "ancestor" for "descendant". It's always that way round, nobody ever says "descendant" when they mean "ancestor".

My wife and I laughed more than we have ever done before during previous episodes of this series, which have been more likely to provoke tears than laughter. But I agree that Ann Reid's continuing defence of her naughty ancestor began to be annoying when you consider that he was a drunkard and a criminal who first of all neglected his school classes then defrauded a relative and left others, the people she was running down, to bring up his family.

It had a particular resonance for me, as I also had a great-great-grandfather from Fife who was a rogue, and who ended up in Tasmania, tho' he wasn't transported at the King's pleasure. He twice made a local girl pregnant, and in 1855, when she was about to have their second child, he skedaddled to Tasmania with his brother and never came back. The brother became a respectable farmer and is mentioned in a book about the pioneer settlers in the Sassafras area, but my ancestor became the town drunk in Launceston and I have read about his court appearances and jail sentences in Tasmanian newspapers which have been digitised and put online.

I managed to contact some Tasmanian descendants of the respectable brother, who knew that their ancestor had come over with his elder brother, who died a bachelor, and imagine their surprise when I told them that he had left some of his DNA behind in Scotland, and his descendants (not ancestors!) are a sizeable clan.

Harry

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
Uhm... just watched it!

I wonder Why she judged David Husband so harshly -  and Why she was so sure that poor old John Reid was the one that was hard done by. 

Did she 'maybe' have more insight into what led John Reid to be the kind of fella he was! ?

Or was - her flippant attitude - due to a thorough lack of comprehension of the 'real world'  --

Over the years, I have somewhat enjoyed her TV work, for instance - 'The dinner ladies' and series ONE (only) of Last Tango .....  with David Jacobi - Apart from that never watched her,  didn't ever watch Coronation then or now... (please NO )

I have a feeling, it could well have been part of her TV contract to do the show, cos to be honest, she wasn't ... taking a SERIOUS interest, DAVID HUSBAND for whatever reason, whether she liked it or not (and if he hadn't she could very well never have appeared anywhere on the planet!! never mind our TV screens)  -- seemed to care enough to give his grandchildren a good basic start in life... So surely there must have been more than just a FIL /SIL fallout.  Maybe David, realised pdq into the marriage that this man was not what he had hoped for - for his daughter. 

OOo  :o WOS as my grandchildren would say.. (waste of space) 

There surely must be Someone with something worth telling us - and who doesn't mind sharing  left   ---- :-X :-\ :-\ :-\

xin

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
I thought the part where she kept laughing about what her g.g.uncle had done, drunkenness etc. was hilarious, I save it for my husband to see when he came in.  The rest did annoy me.  Why was she so uptight about how her g.g.grandfather had been treated, and blamed his f.i.l who, although she didn't seem to realise it, was also her ancestor.  He would have been one of her g.g.g.grandfathers.  Also, I don't know why the BBC paid for her to have a freebie to Tasmania (Van Diemens Land) - and presumably paid for her niece to fly over from Australia to meet up with her.  All that info is available on line - I know as I've got similar info about my 2 x g.g.aunt and the man she met and married in Van Diemens Land - also a convict.

Lizzie

Couldn't agree more Lizzie, it's all on the VDL convict records on LINCS plus the criminal registers on FindMyPast and Anc, still I suppose the film crew got a nice jolly in Tassie.

I found her to be quite odd, and at the end of the programme I'd actually gone quite off her when I used to think she was quite a nice lady in Dinner Ladies and Corrie of course............. ::)
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it was all in the name!  She felt more for the Reid than the Husband cos she is Reid!

Maybe David Husband pushed for the prosecution so that he could get hold of the children and take them away from John Reid so that they would get a decent upbringing.  Also what kind of life would those children have had if John Reid had returned from VDL and tried to manage their lives again - she didn't seem to factor this in.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
She also failed to understand that these 3 children were virtual orphans with the death of their mother and the transportation of their father who had little to no chance of getting back to Scotland.

Was she not descended from one of these same children?

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:18 BST (UK) »
I've done a little bit of research on female convicts to VDL and so far not one has been transported for their first crime, in fact they were all repeat offenders.

Does anybody know if this was the case for John Reid?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
I've done a little bit of research on female convicts to VDL and so far not one has been transported for their first crime, in fact they were all repeat offenders.

That's certainly true for my 2 x g.g.aunt.  She had a conviction in 1843 for stealing a large amount of goods from her employer, then in 1847 she stole an even larger amount of goods and chattels and food from another employer.  This 2nd time, she passed them to her mother who at the age of 65 was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment with hard labour for receiving stolen goods - I assume that was her first offence, or they thought she was too old to transport to Van Diemens Land. 

I have details of both her crimes, the court dealings, her sentence, details of the ship she was transported on including name of the captain and the surgeon, how many other convicts were on the ship, how long it took to get to Van Diemens Land, etc. and I never stepped away from my laptop to find everything out.  I do have some photographs sent via e-mail from a distant relative in Tasmania but they are also on line, now I know where to look.