Author Topic: Ada Bunch (b. 1880) - potential black ancestor?  (Read 6257 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Bunch (b. 1880) - potential black ancestor?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 September 15 19:47 BST (UK) »
Cant find a baptism for Caroline/Catherine yet, but here's some potential siblings:

24th May 1815, Kidderminster St. Mary, Worcestershire, Frederick s/o William & Jane Jinks of Bird Lane, Tailor

14th March 1817, Kidderminster St. Mary, Worcestershire, Joseph s/o William & Jane Jinks of Church Street, Tailor

15th July 1821, Elmbridge, Worcestershire, William s/o William & Jane Jinks of Stourport, Tailor

24th March 1823, Kidderminster St. Mary, Worcestershire, Alfred s/o William & Jane Jinks of Barn Street, Tailor

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline singerjess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 September 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot!

Thank you so much for the info on William and Jane Jinks. Their kids are being baptised in Kidderminster st Mary, but my Caroline (born abt 1814) says that she's from St Peters Droitwich on all the censuses? I would have thought that was unusual but I'm always open to suggestions!!

I've had reply from the Worcestershire look ups and someone is going to try and find Joseph and Caroline's marriage record when they go into the archives in the next couple of weeks so hopefully that will confirm/deny parentage of Jane Jenks and Mary Price!

I've updated my friend and she's so pleased that others are interested in Ada  :)

Please, keep the suggestions coming and I will keep you updated of anything I find!
Singer (Birmingham, Eastern Europe), Green, Ison, Inman (Leicester, Manchester), Cohen, Millership (Nottingham), Attwood (Teddington), Romain (Wiltshire).

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 September 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot!

Thank you so much for the info on William and Jane Jinks. Their kids are being baptised in Kidderminster st Mary, but my Caroline (born abt 1814) says that she's from St Peters Droitwich on all the censuses? I would have thought that was unusual but I'm always open to suggestions!!

If its the right couple then they married in 1797 but I don't start finding children for them until 1815, so they could have been in Droitwich or anywhere inbetween I guess.

I also came across the following reference:

WCRO: BA/8719/15, Documents relating to the apprenticeship of James Hands 1807. Letters relating to William Jinks, 1812

The full paper is here, but I haven't had time to read it so it could be a complete red herring, in which case I apologise !   It does make reference to Elmley Lovett though, so I thought I'd throw it out there anyway  ;)

Oops forgot the link: http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/365/10/CONCLUSION.pdf
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline singerjess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 September 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Fantastic, thanks Jomot!
Singer (Birmingham, Eastern Europe), Green, Ison, Inman (Leicester, Manchester), Cohen, Millership (Nottingham), Attwood (Teddington), Romain (Wiltshire).

Offline singerjess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 September 15 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Kayy99! Fantastic when all that research comes together!

Offline singerjess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 September 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
User paulrayner also managed to corroborate some info

My wife has been looking into the Price family as her ancestor is David Price (b1825), one of Joseph Price's brothers.  She has David's wedding certificate which shows his father (and hence your Joseph's father) as Joseph Price, occupation waterman.  This makes sense as being a waterman often ran in families.  From birth records on the family search website in the Droitwich area (where most of that generation, except Joseph jr, were baptised) it seems their mother was called Mary and my wife thinks she has found Mary on the 1841 and 1851 census where she is shown as originating from Exeter, which ties with Joseph jr being baptised there.  Mary is listed as married and a wife but no husband is present on either census, and to date we can't find Joseph senior on any census.  This makes it hard to know where he is from.
There is a wedding of Joseph Price to Mary Ann Grigg in Exeter in 1806 and this may explain the middle name of Joseph jr's first child!  The wedding record lists Joseph as a soldier. As this was during the Napoleonic wars and Exeter had a barracks this is not unusual and doesn't mean he is from Exeter originally. My wife has another ancestor from south Wales who joined the army and married in Edinburgh and had his first child in Colchester, before settling back in south Wales.

Just wanted to keep everyone who has been so helpful so far in the loop with the research!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 September 15 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jess,

Thank you for the update.
If you find Mary Price's death and order the certificate it should say whether she is wife or widow of 'x' - and give his occupation.

This would be one more piece of evidence.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Ian H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching the Price line for quite some years,I'm related through James Price born in Droitwich 1828 son of Joseph and Mary Ann Price.
I've lots of information on the Price family baptisms marriages etc as I live in Droitwich which I must get around to adding add to my Ancestry tree !
Mary is the mother of James and it shows she was born in Exeter,I've looked into the fact it could be Joseph Price the soldier that married Mary Ann Griggs in 1806.

All the children in Droitwich were born from 1811 onwards and two baptisms are  particularly interesting,one for Mary Ann Gregg Price the daughter of Joseph and Caroline born 1835  and another Mary Ann Gregg Price born 1842 daughter of Richard and Christiana.
Richard was James brother they're on the 1841 census with their mother Mary living in
Tower Hill Droitwich.

This links Richard and James together and it's strange that Joseph Price also has  a daughter Mary Ann Gregg  Price too,so I was very hopefull that this linked things togther nicely and Mary was from Exeter and married Joseph who was a soldier and just needed to find him.

I found a record for a Joseph Price being discharged from the 43rd Regiment of foot after 21 years service in 1827 who was discharged at Devonport and after readin through this http://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/1911_BNJ_8_15.pdf seems like he could have been in England to have been the father of Joseph baptism 18 June 1809 St Sidwells Exeter.
There  are two problems with this even though it looked really promising and that's firstly Joseph and Mary had children in or around these dates taking into account we only have baptism dates to go by for births.
Thomas baptised  1st December 1811,William 15 May 1814,John 29 December 1816,Richard 29 August 1819,Daniel 24 March 1822,David and Soloman twins 23 February 1825 and James 4 May 1828.
The problem being finding out if Joseph was back in England to be the father of these children.
Second every baptism after John it states Joseph was a waterman so surely it would have stated he was a soldier ? Forgot to mention the document states Joseph was born at  St Swithuns Worcester,I've found a baptism for a Joseph baptised 15 August 1783 St Swithuns parents William and Elizabeth.

So I thought ok I'll look for a waterman that fits the bill ( I've several who worked on boats mostly taking salt from Droitwich)
And I found one,what was interesting about it was I found it after reading your post singerjess about your friend and Ada Bunch the granddaughter of Joseph.
The record was a Merchant seaman ticket from 1845 which states Joseph was born in Droitwich November 1785 had grey hair hazel eyes was 5ft 7 with complexion stated as dark !

Now the fact that this was 1845 even though obviously it doesn't mean he was black I've read that sometimes this was how they referred to them.
I also noticed that every person on that page had a dark complexion and again because of the time period I could imagine these poor people being made to stand in line separately from everyone else so that would explain that.

Both are very interesting,although not enough to go on just yet to confirm either as Joseph !
This link also seems to show the whereabouts of the 43rd during the time Joseph Price the soldier was in it
 http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/Regiments/c_43dFoot.html

Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble !

Offline singerjess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 September 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been having a bit of a break from research! My friend ended up doing a DNA test and no Arifcan/Carribbean/anything remotely not European showed up! Which was not what we were expecting from the photo, but there you go! Thank you for the info, I will have a look at where I got to and cross reference it all.

Thanks again, that is all so helpful!