Author Topic: Ada Bunch (b. 1880) - potential black ancestor?  (Read 6264 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Bunch (b. 1880) - potential black ancestor?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 September 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Baptism (extracts) for Ann Maria Price, 1839; Daniel Joseph Price, 1842; Thomas Edward Price, 1854:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JW7C-BJN (Ann Maria)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NTBV-6ZG (Daniel Joseph)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NV98-QWG (Thomas Edward)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline singerjess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks both. I use the roots chatroom function and with the help of some wonderful people we're thinking that the wife is called Caroline Jenks, daughter of William and Jane (who appears living with them in the 1851 census as a widowed pauper). So a marriage between Joseph and Caroline is on my hit list!
Singer (Birmingham, Eastern Europe), Green, Ison, Inman (Leicester, Manchester), Cohen, Millership (Nottingham), Attwood (Teddington), Romain (Wiltshire).

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:31 BST (UK) »
Well done!

I had wondered if that Jane Jenks in 1851 was Caroline's mother - especially as she had named a daughter 'Jane' However I couldn't see Jane Jenks in 1841 either!

William Jenks had married a Jane Hammond - Kidderminster in 1814 (if that's the correct marriage)

Unfortunately all these finds are transcriptions. We could do with the actual parish registers being on line.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:31 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census shows a Mary Price, aged 55, not born in Worcestershire as head of the household following Catherine/Caroline and the children.  Joseph's mother?

1851 census shows Mary Price aged 66 born in Exeter at an address on Tower Hill, St Andrews, Droitwich (same as 1841).  She is married, not widowed but there is no husband with her.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
Maybe William Jenks - Jane Hammond incorrect. They had another Caroline born in 1826!

Oh dear me - it would be boring if it went smoothly!
Places of interest;

Offline singerjess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 September 15 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those baptism records. It's funny, I'd already found them but was nervous to add them on because of the discrepancy of Caroline/Catherine with the different dates and censuses. Glad that you've corroborated it so those are all added!

Yes, we thought that about Mary Price (well, RootsChatters did - I'd misread it as Bruce in the census ;D) - I've also added her on to my tree to see if I can build any kind of connection between them - great minds think alike!

Nooooo about the Jenks'! Just as it was looking so promising. So if they had a second daughter called Caroline, it means the first one most likely died. Joseph and Caroline's first daughter is named Mary Ann Gregg Price in her baptism and Mary Ann Grey Price in her burial. Could Gregg/Grey be Caroline's maiden name? Because the Driotwich marriage registers don't appear to be online and I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to get down I'm going to post in the lookup group.... I'll see if anything comes back to me and can pop it on here!

Thank you so much for your help, much appreciated!
Singer (Birmingham, Eastern Europe), Green, Ison, Inman (Leicester, Manchester), Cohen, Millership (Nottingham), Attwood (Teddington), Romain (Wiltshire).

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 September 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thinking about the Price born Exeter clue - and the fact that a Mary Price is living next door to Caroline. There is a filmed record of a marriage on FindMyPast amongst it's Devon records, for a John Price, Soldier, to a Mary Ann Trigg at Exeter Holy Trinity on 5/10/1806.

Both 'of this Parish'.
It may just be worth bearing in mind as a possible parentage for Joseph Price.
Places of interest;

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 September 15 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks both. I use the roots chatroom function and with the help of some wonderful people we're thinking that the wife is called Caroline Jenks, daughter of William and Jane (who appears living with them in the 1851 census as a widowed pauper).

As you have her parents I assume you also have their marriage, but just in case:
21st October 1797, Elmbridge, Worcestershire
William Jinkes of Elmley Lovet, Bachelor  & Jane Packwood of Elmbridge, Worcestershire
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 September 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Its not definitive by any means, but Jane Packwood d/o William & Ann was baptised 6th December 1778 at Elmbridge, Worcestershire & had several brothers & sisters including Abel Packwood baptised 7th October 1769.

In the 1851 census Abel  Packwood aged 51 (?) s at  Elmbridge, Worcestershire  with wife Claranda  Packwood  aged 40 born Imbleton, Worcestershire 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.