Author Topic: Comerfords in Muckalee/Castlecomer/Clough area  (Read 10180 times)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Comerfords in Muckalee/Castlecomer/Clough area
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 September 15 23:35 BST (UK) »

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 September 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
You mention the three other children you found.  Rootsireland has records for ten children of Patrick Regan and Anne Comerford, including a second James and two Michaels.  Another couple of Brennans show up as sponsors.  If you haven't got them, I can give you the details if you PM me your e-mail address.  The number of Brennan sponsors suggests a close, probably family, connection.  I found two Brennan/Comerford marriages - Thomas Brennan and Catherine Comerford in Muckalee parish in 1833 and Patrick Brennan and Margaret Comerford in Castlecomer in 1844.  Perhaps one or both of the Comerfords were aunts of Anne?  I couldn't find any Brennan/Regan marriages.
The NLI images only seem to go up to about 1880, so four is all I could find.  Catherine (1869), John (1868), James (1876) and Jane (1878).  Patrick Jr (1872) and Julia (1873) I couldn't find at all.  I've got names for most of them I think from Ancestry transcriptions, but I'm not sure if the dates attached to them are birthdates or baptism dates.

Is Rootsireland that pay-per-view site?  I was tempted, but I'm already shelling out a lot on Ancestry and Find My Past subscriptions and couldn't justify to myself paying the amount per record view that they were asking.  Given how much I don't know about this side of the family, I could easily see me spending hundreds of pounds on records that aren't applicable just to find a handful that are.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 September 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Just a PS on whether or not John Comerford was Anne's brother, I've just noticed that one of the witnesses to his marriage to Johanna Moore was Patrick Regan.  I think it strengthens the case for John and Anne being siblings rather than cousins.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline brennans

• RootsChat Extra
  • family genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
I suspect that Thomas Brennan who married Catherine Comerford in 1833 is either a brother or close connection to my 3rd great-grandfather, Patrick Brennan 1813-1885.

Reasons:

Patrick lived in Co Carlow very close to the border of Kilkenny. His eldest daughter was born in Lacken in 1837. His marriage to Mary Ann Jordan (1835) and Maggie's baptism are in the records of St. Lazarian RC in Leighlinbridge.

The marriage of Patrick's brother John (1809-1870s) and Mary Rice in 1836 and the baptisms of their children Margaret, Catherine, Mary, and James are at the same place.

The marriage of Patrick's sister Catherine (1812-1869) to John Roach in 1833 and the baptisms of 8 children are also at the same place.

But Thomas (~1805-1860s) and Catherine's marriage and 2 oldest children aren't recorded there.

In 1842 Thomas and Catherine are in Beckwith, Ontario, 3 lots down from Patrick (who shares a lot with his brother in law Martin Jordan).

In 1851 Patrick Brennan and Thomas Brennan have both moved their families to Grey County, south of Owen Sound.

John and Mary (Rice) Brennan are on the lot Thomas was one in 1842; next door is Catherine Brennan Roach, who has been widowed. (bottom left of red rectangle) http://brennan-families.com/beckwith.jpg

In 1861 William Brennan is on Con 2, lot 67 of Holland Twp, and Thomas is there listed in the Directory of Grey Co of 1865-1866. (just to the right and slighly above center) http://brennan-families.com/dornoch.jpg

Catherine is widowed and living in Chicago in 1867, 1869, 1874, address 230 N. Halsted. But on the 1870 census, daughter Margaret and her husband Edward Comerford are living there, as is Margaret's yougest sister, Ellen. (I don't know if Edward is related to Catherine or not, but Margaret Brennan Comerford's death record lists her mother as Catherine Comerford and lists her own birthplace as Kilkenny)

In 1880 Catherine is at 104 Liberty in Chicago with sons John and Thomas, divorced daughter Ellen, and Ellen's kids.

I'm nto positive it's Catherine's Thomas is my ggg gf's brother, but it's pretty suggestive.

Chris

Offline Interesting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 November 16 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I have to admit I'm leaning in that direction, I was just hoping something more definitive might come up.  That might be asking a bit much though given how much of Ireland's records are missing.  I have noticed there's another John Comerford in the area, he and a Bridget Byrne have a child baptised in Castlecomer in 1876.

I've looked at the sponsors of the Regan kids to see if there's any clues there, but no Comerfords unfortunately.  I note an Ellen Moore was second sponsor for my great-grandmother.  A relative of Johanna's perhaps?  The three other kids I've found on the NLI all seem to have members of the Brennan family as their sponsors.  John by Edward & Kate Brennan, James by Thomas & Mary Brennan, and Jane by Patrick and Ellen Brennan.  A lot of Brennans.  Could be just friends of the family, though I'm wondering if there's a connection there too.  If a Comerford married a Brennan, that person could maybe help tie Anne and John together, or otherwise?

Offline Interesting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 November 16 15:55 GMT (UK) »
John and Johanna Comerford are my great grand parents One of their sons Michael is my grandfather

Offline hllawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 September 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
Her married name was Regan.  I don't know where Anne or her husband are buried unfortunately, though I'd love to find out and take a trip over to Ireland at some point.

Hi Siverhawk,  seems we may be related based off this thread. I'm Joanna Moore and John Comerfords  GGGGGranddaughter. Thanks for your posting about your difficulties on here, as it has been a lot of help to my search.

I'm not sure if you're aware already but i've seen possible errors in spelling for the Ann Regan you're discussing which might aid you're search for her. I've found a photo of a marrige registration for Johanna and John on Ancestry.co.uk which also includes details of Anne and Patrick's marriage are also visible on the page. It sounds Idential to what you're describing but Regan appears to be written as "Gregan". Otherwise dates and other details match up with what you have described. Is it possible you might find more records under Gregan if you haven't already tried this? Perhaps this error in spelling has occurred elsewhere.

Offline hllawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 October 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
I've recently been sent a photograph of a page from the book "A demographic History of The Comerfords" By Barney Comerford. It hich might be helpful to you. It was written in the 70s. The page is labelled Comerfords in Coolcullen - Castlecomer.  And shows a few rough hand draw family tree/pedigrees.

The image appears to indicate that John and Anne Comerford, who you have mentioned you suspect as being siblings, are more likely cousins of some form and suggests John, who married Johanna, had at least three siblings called: James, Alice and Mary who married Anne Purcell, Nick Brenan and Michael Brenan respectively. From a brief search of baptism and marriage records on Rootsireland.ie  I have been able to identify siblings who fit this (bar Alice), all having been born in Kiltown castlecomer. Their Parents are Patrick Comerford and Ellen Macevoy/Mcevoy. Sadly they do not have a daughter Anne.

The Anne comerford b.1841, who I believe is the one you've referenced is also mentioned as the daughter of Patrick Comerford and Cath. Mulloy m. 1829. In a short tree that appears to be seperate to that of john. I have attached part of the picture here but have cut some of the image out as a number of people mentioned I know to still be living. The author references his information as coming from a someone in Michael Comerford eldest son's family in the 1970s.

Offline Interesting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 October 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to reply with this useful information