Author Topic: Exciting find a metal detectorist has found my grandfather's wedding ring !  (Read 15825 times)

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Exciting find a metal detectorist has found my grandfather's wedding ring !
« on: Friday 18 September 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
Wasn't sure where to post this, so have popped it in here  :)

I found out yesterday from my sister that a metal detectorist has found my grandfather's wedding ring in a field in the village where he worked. She has asked me to take over the reins in sorting out getting the ring back to the family, and helping the detectorist out with family info so a whole story can be written about it.  I've asked him if he'd like to come and visit so I can answer questions and we can get something put together with dates, maybe photos etc.  My grandparents married in 1928, the ring would have been lost in the field not that long after I think, and it turned up last week.
I am so excited - this is the sort of thing I read about happening to other folk! lol
Hunter, Hastings, Sykes, Stranshilloch, Galloway, Crosbie, Graham, Chesney, Dickson, Campbell Townsley, Matthew

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting find
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:14 BST (UK) »
I have just read your post and all I can say is "that's amazing". What a wonderful story and to find the ring after all these years - speechless ;D - not like me at all.

Hope your meeting with the finder goes well and that the ring is returned to your family soon.

Best wishes

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
  • Building on my mothers lifes work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:22 BST (UK) »
That's so cool!   :D
Moore, Craig, Donnelly, Boyd, Johnston, Butterworth, Hayes, Orr, Brierley, Heather

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
How incredible! So the detectorist went to the trouble to try and trace the right family? Presumably there was an inscription or something within the band? What a super person he/she must be ( - for some reason one assumes metal detectorists are male, but there must be female ones, also)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, there was an inscription inside the band - JS to GH May 1928; the detectorist (was a he) went to the local minister for the village, who looked up the marriage records and found my granny and found my granny and grandpa's names, then managed to get in touch with my sister, then to me.  Added interest is that the detectorist who found it is the man who found the Scottish Viking hoard.  AM looking forward to meeting him soon.   :)

Thanks all for the  comments  :)
Hunter, Hastings, Sykes, Stranshilloch, Galloway, Crosbie, Graham, Chesney, Dickson, Campbell Townsley, Matthew

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Oh that is absolutely amazing and really interesting that it was the man who found the Scottish Viking Hoard.  ;D

Great Stuff
Sandra  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 September 15 20:58 BST (UK) »
That is incredible!!  So heart warming that he took the trouble to find out about the ring's owner and trace his family, you must be so excited.  You also get to meet the man who found the Scottish Viking hoard too - an added bonus.  So pleased for you.  :D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 September 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
What a brilliant story....I hope this goes to press as it deserves a wider audience :o
Thanks for sharing.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 September 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
It will go to the press  :)  he's wanting to do the story and I have the details.  There really is no point in having such wonderful knowledge/information and not sharing.  Am excited beyond belief.  For me, it's the little things, the minutae of everyday life that interests me - what most folk can relate too.  It's also brought me back in contact with family that have shelved me for various reasons.   Best bit is, that my daughter ( who is an archaeologist )  is very interested.  I think, and hope, that it's her that will keep our Scottish line going.  My son is interested too, but to a lesser degree.  It's all part of me coming home.