Author Topic: Exciting find a metal detectorist has found my grandfather's wedding ring !  (Read 15814 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting find
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 October 15 23:40 BST (UK) »
It is so lovely that you are having such a great time with this.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 October 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update...following this with interest.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 03 October 15 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Luath I'm quite gripped by your story.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 October 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
Like everyone else I wish you well with your findings. How amazing that your family are now prepared to offer up more items and information!
Look forward to reading all about it. Perhaps you should consider writing a small book especially as the ru g finder is a well know person.

Even though I don't know you either it's a wonderful tale and hope that it will reunite your family furthe.

What a generous act to send it out to Australia for you grandfathers eldest son to be the future custodian of these wonderful finds.

Good luck and keep us all posted
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 October 15 07:06 BST (UK) »
So excited for you by the find and then all the lovely bonuses. The rest of us can only hope to uncover such treasures.

A special mention to the detectorist who went to such lengths to get that precious ring 'home'.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline Luath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
Derek and Sharon came to see me this morning, stayed a long time, we had a great old chat about lots of things.  I made some of my granny's scones to go with their coffee  :)
- and here it is, the ring itself, now in my custody until it goes off to Tasmania

Reading back on the forum here the other night, I came across the name Campbell Townsley - this has turned up on my granny's side of the family tree.  The Townsleys were a family of the Galloway travellers, and this particular John was born in Mochrum in about 1819.  I shall enjoy looking further into that too. My ultimate aim is to uncover the name of my ancestor who had his ear cut off for being a Covenantor; I *think* I might be on the trail for that!
Hunter, Hastings, Sykes, Stranshilloch, Galloway, Crosbie, Graham, Chesney, Dickson, Campbell Townsley, Matthew

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 14:48 BST (UK) »
Luath how do you feel being able to hold that ring after all this time ?

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 16:34 BST (UK) »
Fantastic.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
How lovely...thanks for sharing...isn't it great when peole are reunited with their lost belongings...especially after all these years...When the children were young...I lost my engagement ring on a school playing field ...all the parents were playing rounders for the school....we all searched for days but it never turned up.
I often regret not telling the headmaster about it and leaving my name and telephone number with him  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU