Author Topic: Marriage Samuel Carson and Mary, Saint Peter le Bailey  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Samuel Carson and Mary, Saint Peter le Bailey
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 September 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy ...

The Oxfordshire Wills Index (on the FindMyPast website) has both original and registered wills dated 1810 for a Samuel CARSON, wine and brandy merchant of Oxford.  You can view this on the FindMyPast website (by purchasing credits) or request a copy from the Oxfordshire Record Office.

Also, I found the following listings on the Oxfordshire RO's "Heritage Search" database:

1    Samuel Carson
Act.
Oxford Freemen Index 1663–1997, 27.11.1786.
Reference OPI-56608

2    Mrs Mary Carson
Death notice/obituary Oxford wife of Mr. Saml, wine and spirit merchant.
Jackson's Oxford Journal, 1.8.1801.
Reference OPI-6998

3    Mr Samuel Carson
72. Death notice/obituary Butcher Row, Oxford wine and liquor merchant, of Oxford.
Jackson's Oxford Journal, 25.8.1810.
Reference OPI-6999

Again, you should be able to purchase copies from the Oxfordshire RO.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 September 15 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pennie for these abstracts.  I actually have already purchased the will of Samuel in which I learned the name of his sister Jenny who is my gggg grandmother. Wish I could find the name of her husband but that is another brick wall.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 September 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy

Ive been looking again this morning and am quite frustrated as I am sure you are because I cannot find anything.

Yet he was obviously of some established status due to his listing in Kelly's and his occupation .

Mmm I need to try again I think

I'll be back if I find anything, sorry this is so useless

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 September 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
Ah at last a small snippet of information which I suspect you have but in case not..........

Burials St Peter Le Bailey Church
31 July 1801 Mary Carson buried in the church aged 61

28 Aug 1810 Samuel Carson wine merchant aged 72

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 September 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
Peggy

Not sure if this is relevant but there is a burial of a Henry BOYD of Hertford College on 8 March 1922 at St Peter in The East Church aged 91 so born circa 1831

Nigel

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 September 15 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Nigel,
I really do appreciate your efforts.  The Oxfordshire Family History Society did send me the burials of Samuel Carson and his wife Mary, whom I suspect was Mary Butcher. Also, Samuel's will. Also John Butcher's will which Samuel and Mary Carson signed.  I don't have Samuel and Mary's marriage which was before 1872 for sure.  As Mary was born abt 1840, I'm betting Oxford, the marriage would be abt 1860ish to 1872. 
I gather the burials don't have parentage or anything else on them - just the name and date. They are one reason that I thought perhaps my ggg grandfather Samuel Carson Boyd had baptised his children in St. Peter, the church of his uncle, but the baptisms are not found there. I have someone from the LDS in Canada looking for the baptisms which are yet to be found.
I keep hoping that somewhere, somehow, I or others will discover some smashing info.  This info on Henry Boyd may lead somewhere.  Thank you for sending.  Born in 1831, if related, could be a grandson of my Jenny, but not a son. I will follow up on him. I wonder where he was born and who his parents were.  He can't be a son to my ggg grandfather Samuel Carson Boyd as SCB had emigrated to Canada abt 1830 and was in Quebec in 1831.
Thanks again
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 October 16 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Samuel Carson, wine and liquor merchant, died in Oxford in 1810. I  am now trying to  trace his father who was also Samuel and wonder if there is a Samuel Carson who died in Oxford 20-30 years earlier so about 1780-1790.
thanks for any help
Peggy

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 October 16 12:39 BST (UK) »

Hi Peggy (again!) ...

Not sure if you're aware, but since your original post all of the Oxfordshire parish records are now available to search on Ancestry.  I have had a quick look for various names but, unfortunately, nothing jumps out at me.  However, you are obviously more familiar with your own family tree so may like to have a look for yourself (you can search either by indexed names or browse individual parishes and if you're not already an Ancestry subscriber, then you can probably get a 14-day free trial).

I then had a bit more of a search on Ancestry and found the following:

Criminal Register - Oxfordshire - 1829:  Samual Carson BOYD acquitted of horse-stealing (wonder if this is why he emigrated to Canada the following year?)

Baptism of Mary BUTCHER in Goring, Oxfordshire, in 1740 (what, incidentally, are your reasons for believing her maiden name is BUTCHER?)

Marriage of Samuel CARSON and Mary OMUNDSON/EDMANDSON (according to Bishop's Transcripts/parish records respectively - very difficult to interpret the surname!) in 1773 in Liverpool (Liverpool could tie up with Samuel coming over from Ireland?)

Hope this gives you a bit more to work on!

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 October 16 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennie,
Thank you so very much for finding these records and for your reply. I am delighted to learn the name of Samuel Carson's wife and will look for the marriage record myself to see if his parentage mentioned. I did know about Samuel Carson Boyd's alleged horse stealing and did wonder if it prompted his departure from Oxford.  He was a wine and liquor merchant until bankruptcy in 1822 in Oxford and do wonder what his occupation was between 1822 and his departure 1829/1830.
As for Mary Butcher, I did wonder if she might be the Mary that was Samuel's wife. John Butcher's will of 1783 mentions the names of Samuel and Mary Carson although no relationship is stated.
Thanks again
Peggy