Author Topic: Ambrosone  (Read 1845 times)

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Ambrosone
« on: Friday 18 September 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Cornwall rootschatters. I am usually on the Hertfordshire site. Having got stuck with my Goodman ancestors, I decided to try Ambrosone. Does anyone please have information about Ambrosone and descendants in Cornwall. Also, whether there was any connection with the Uren surname.
I had some information already from Italy, my husband's ancestors. Going back as far as 1833 on the direct paternal side. They appeard to originate from Montesarchio, Benevento, Italy.
I did a DNA swab test on my son, just out of interest, expecting to find Italian matches or perhaps none at all. I requested for a 37 male YDNA marker test.
I was very successful, previously, with this male marker test on my Goodman ancestors. Direct descendant, five generations in common, with another male Goodman who had agreed to be swabbed. Later still, finding documented evidence to also support the results.

Recently, I was surprised to find that my son matched 25 out of 37 with Frank Uren, Cornwall.
In the 1861 census St Mawes, St Just, Truro, Cornwall- Elizabeth Collins, head, was a Lodging House Keeper and although she had some children with the surname Collins, she also had two Ambrosone children. She was listed as being a widow. Her daughter Elizabeth Ambrosone was born in 1849 in Cornwall and her son born in 1853. Her mother's name was Lawer and she was also a widow. I hope that I have interpreted that correctly.
Although probably unrelated, there was a Thomas Uren who married a Sally Collins 24th August 1805 Kenwyn, Cornwall. I was unable to find any Uren and Ambrosone match.

Having not expected there to be any Ambrosone families in England, especially before 1830. I decided to look outside of Cornwall. I found Francis Ambrosone who actually married in 1830, Somerset, by banns, although it doesn't state ages and where Francis or his wife Keziah Knapton were born.
In 1817, a John Francis Ambrosone was living and married in Portsea Hampshire to Lucy May. Annoyingly, this information also failed to mention where the parties were born.

There were Ambrosone families in Brighton, Anna Maria Ambrosone, who married in 1840 to John Maria Gancia, he was born in Italy, although Anna Maria was born in Brighton.
There was a John A Ambrosone, Jeweller, born in Brighton in 1820, living with his brother and sister. Interesting to know who his father was and where his father was born.
Later on, there were Bradford born Ambrosone families. My daughter, in jest, said "it is bad enough having a crap surname, but to discover that it is not even that unusual is another thing".

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ambrosone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 15 22:31 BST (UK) »
That 1861 census (RG09, Piece 1553, Folio 50, Page 30) shows:

Elizabeth Collins  Head  Widow  F  4  Lodging House Keeper
Mary Collins  Daughter  F  2  Dressmaker
Elizabeth Ambrosine Collins  Daughter  F  12  Scholar
George Greet Collins  Son  M  8  Scholar   
Mary Lewis  Mother  Widow  F  72  Formerly Fish Seine maker
John Collins  Son  M  15  Naval Apprentice RN                   all born St Mawes

The Birth registration of Elizabeth Ambrosine Collins confirms her full name, as does the baptism on Cornwall OPC Database! ;D
Likewise George Greet Collins. His birth registration can be found via FreeBMD.

So, obviously, not your family! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 15 23:13 BST (UK) »

Checking on the GRO Index 1837 - 2007 Apart from Anna Maria Ambrosone's marriage in 1840 there are no Ambrosone Birth Marriage or Death events recorded in England and Wales until 1955.

Venelow
Canada

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Venelow and KGarrad for your messages. I looked firstly at FindMyPast transcribed pages for the 1861 various census entries, re the ones that I mentioned previously. Following your replies, I looked at the actual census. It does seem that, in some of the names there is an 'i' opposed to an 'e' at the end of the surnames. I know that generally misspelling of surnames is not uncommon. Also, the mother of Elizabeth Collins was transcribed as Lawton and not Lewis.
A lady from Cornwall, we share the same Goodman ancestors, was kind enough to look in the present, Cornwall phone book, for me. She found an Ambrosoni, not Ambrosone, living at Barbican Road. Apparently there is a whole column of Uren surnames in the phone book also. Of course, all this doesn't get me any further with my research. However, I am grateful very grateful for any help and thank you again.