Author Topic: Riverside School  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Lizalex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Riverside School
« on: Friday 18 September 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My mother, Jessie Young, was born in Fallin in 1924. My grandfather worked both on the land and in the pits, and money seemed to be short. I know that my mum passed the exams to go to Stirling High School, but they could not afford this and instead, it is in my memory that she told me once that she went instead to Riverside School instead. However, I cannot find any information about what might have been a Riverside Secondary School. Can anyone tell me whether I am just dreaming this or was there a Riverside School, perhaps now renamed?

Thanks, Liz
Ballantyne, Young, Allan, Thommeny, Masterton,

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Riverside School
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 15 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi try google some information there
Rosie

Offline Lizalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
HinRosei,
I did Google it and I trawled through the Stirling County Council web pages, but did not come up with anything except for the Riverside Primary School. As for Riverside Schools, there are thousands of them in the UK! Thanks, anyway,
Liz

Offline Lizalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 September 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
Don,
Thank you so much. I live in Somerset these days, but have been aware of the local history section at Stirling University for quite some time. I think that it is time that I go and explore. Although my mum has been dead now for almost 30 years, I was sure that my memory of what she told me about her education was correct. Apart from Google, I was not sure where to start. The document you recommend on the post-war development of the town looks really interesting. I am very, very grateful.

Thanks again,
Liz

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 September 15 13:02 BST (UK) »
 I think you mother probably attended what is now known as Riverside Primary School remaining in the Secondary (sometimes known as Advanced) division beyond the age of 12 (see www.scran.ac.uk/scotland/pdf/SP2_1Education.pdf for background on secondary education in 20th century Scotland). This school was  "built in 1926 as a secondary school with a primary department" (current Primary prospectus - http://www.riversideprimaryschool.co.uk/Pages/schoolbrochure.aspx)

The Admissions Register may have been deposited with Stirling Archives who could check your mother's dates at the school for you. You may have to provide evidence of her death (data protection 100 year rule).

I hope this helps.

Offline Lizalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. That  really does help a lot and makes a great deal of sense. I will follow up your leads.

Much appreciated.

Liz

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 September 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in this thread as I fairly recently discovered that my Dad had been resident in Raploch Stirling as a child of 12 in 1924 -  just before his family emigrated to NZ!

No idea what school he went to, I will be looking up some if those references over the next few days, to see if I can find a possible school in the area of the Raploch at that time.

He had been born and lived in Glasgow, but the Passenger List shows last address of family to be 12 Raploch, Stirling. 

Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 October 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
In 1950, at the age of 12, I moved from St Ninians Primary School to Riverside Secondary School situated in the Riverside area of Stirling. I left there in 1953 and the secondary school functioned for many years after that. It still teaches at the primary level.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)