Author Topic: Andrew FRANKS (b abt 1816) and family  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Andrew FRANKS (b abt 1816) and family
« on: Friday 18 September 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to rationalise the relationships of Andrew FRANKS (a plumber). I have a marriage certificate between him and Harriot CRAXFORD dated June 22nd 1840. This lists his father's name as Andrew, also a plumber. His address is given as 15, Vittoria Street, Islington. The marriage was arranged by Banns.

I have the following from the 1841 census:

Living in Vittoria Street, 60 year old widow, Elizabeth FRANKS and her son George (aged 26, painter). Also in Vittoria Street, Andrew FRANKS (aged 30 years, painter) and Mary FRANKS (aged 30)

I had assumed that Elizabeth was Andrew's mother and George, his brother.

Obviously ages of adults are confused in the 1841 census as they were rounded to the nearest five years. With this in mind, what is the relationship between Andrew and Mary (brother and sister? - in which case twins?  husband and wife?)

Two other little niggles in this story:

Andrew FRANKS, plumber, was living with his 30 year old wife Sophia in the 1851 census
Harriott CRAXFORD (same Harriet!!) married jeweller Frederick MENTE in 1843. Frederick died in 1850. I haven't found a reference to Harriet in the 1851 or later censuses.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew FRANKS (b abt 1816) and family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
I see Harriet married as Craxford again in 1843 and is shown as a spinster so presume there was some irregularity in her first marriage to Andrew

Can't see a marriage for Andrew to a Sophia pre-1851
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 15 23:55 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't assume that Elizabeth was his mother.  I see that he gave a Hertford birthplace in 1851.  Have you seen this baptism?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWZN-G68
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 September 15 08:05 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't assume that Elizabeth was his mother.  I see that he gave a Hertford birthplace in 1851. 

Every little helps! I hadn't picked up on that baptism. I made the assumption that Elizabeth could have been his mother because she and her son were also (still) living at 15 Vittoria Street in 1851. Although Elizabeth gives her place of birth as Warwickshire, George lists his as Hertford. So, I suppose Elizabeth could have been Andrew's stepmother and George his half brother. Interesting too, that in 1851 there were two lodgers, making a household complement of three plumbers!

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 September 15 08:09 BST (UK) »
Quick trip to familysearch does indeed show George Lee Franks baptised at Shenley, Hertford on May 7th 1815. Father: Andrew, mother: Elizabeth

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N8PP-DLZ

Interestingly there is a whole raft of baptisms attributed to Andrew Franks and Elizabeth pre- and postdating the baptism of Andrew. However, Andrew's appears to be the only one attributed to Andrew Franks and Mary. Also intriguingly, one of the daughters was named Sophy.

Alan