Author Topic: Finding Patrick Regan  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Finding Patrick Regan
« on: Saturday 19 September 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandfather, Patrick Regan.  I know little about him, except that he was residing in Coolcullen when he married my great-great-grandmother in 1868 and he said his age was 30.  He died in 1902 (age reported to be 62), so the 1901 census is the only one I can check to see where he said he was born, however I'm having trouble locating him.

His wife and two youngest sons are living in Knocknadogue, but no Patrick.  In fact no Patrick of the right age (+/- 5yrs) anywhere in Kilkenny.  I then checked the surrounding counties, Laois, Carlow, Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford.  Only two possible matches came up.  One in Tipperary, but he's with his wife and family, so I discounted him.  The other is in Carlow, it looks like he's visiting his sister along with his son.  The location is Bagenalstown, which isn't far from the Kilkenny/Carlow border, so I thought this may be him.  However his son's details are wrong.

Patrick's eldest son, John Regan, was baptised in Muckalee parish in August 1868, residence stated to be Coon, so he'd have been 32 when the census was taken.  The census return for the John in Bagenalstown says he's 36 and was born in Co. Carlow.  So it looks like these aren't the right people after all.

Does anyone have any ideas for where Patrick could be? ???
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Patrick Regan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
Have you got his death cert? Where did he die.
Workhouses also served as hospitals but the inmates are only listed by initials in the Census.
There is PR age 63 in the workhouse in Castlecomer Could be a possible.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g5z/

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
He died in Knocknadogue, his widow was the informant.

That's interesting, I never would've thought of just searching for his initials.  Do you think that could be him then?  Was it common for only the head of the household to end up in the workhouse, but the rest of the family to stay out of it?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 September 15 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi There

What year did he die ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 September 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry,

I just saw that you already said 1902 !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 September 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Donaguile is where the hospital is in Castlecomer.

Given that Patrick died not long after the 1901 Census was taken then I'd be pretty sure that it's him on the Census !

Hosptials were often Workhouse Hosptials at the time as it was the only place that you could get free medical care !

Tara

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 September 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
He died in Knocknadogue, his widow was the informant.

That's interesting, I never would've thought of just searching for his initials.  Do you think that could be him then?  Was it common for only the head of the household to end up in the workhouse, but the rest of the family to stay out of it?

If he was there because of illness not poverty than yes just one person in the family could go to the workhouse, look at PR's entry number 19 on the first page, he is in the hospital and I think it's the same townland.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003991213/

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 September 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, that certainly looks like Knocknadogue in the locality column.  I think you've cracked it :)  Many thanks.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 October 15 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, I found a few things that may help.

Births to Patrick Regan & Anne Comerford:

John born 26 Aug 1868
Catherine born 26 Dec 1869
Patrick born 19 Feb 1872
Julia born 30 Dec 1873
James born 19 June 1876
Jane born 8 Feb 1878  bap. 9 Feb 1878
Michael born 4 May 1881
James born 27 April 1883  bap.28 April 1883
Anne born 4 Feb 1885
Michael  bap. 31 May 1887

I looked for a birth of Patrick Regan between 1828-1848 in the parish registers with no success. The only 2 I found were in co Carlow and using Irish naming patterns did not fit at all. I did find births for Anne Comerford- 21 of them in Kilkenny & Carlow. Three of them had the mother's name as Catherine if they followed Irish naming patterns. Those three were in 1840 & 1841 Kilkenny and 1846 Carlow.
I did look at the Tithe Applotments Books 1814-1855 and for Kilkenny found 2 Regans, Edward & John and in Carlow there were 4 Regans-Jack, John, Simon & Patrick. In Griffiths valuation there are 5 Regans in Kilkenny- Patrick, George, Bryan, John & Catherine ( John & Catherine both in Sliguff-maybe Patrick's parents???) and in Carlow James, Mary & Mrs Regan.
If you get any other info let me know and I will look further, Kim