Author Topic: Bowman  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Gray865

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bowman
« on: Saturday 19 September 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother was Jane Bowman McNaught born 1862 to David McNaught and Janet Porteous. Her parents before their marriage were working on neighbouring farms in Coylton, Ayrshire. farmed by Andrew and James Bowman.  My query is, is their a blood relation between Jane and the Bowman family?  Following generations have also used 'Bowman' as a middle name.
Gray865

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bowman
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
Have you researched the Bowman family to see if there was any intermarriage between the McNaught or Porteous families?

Not that there has to be that type of connection or even a biological one - they could just have been very good friends

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
You need to follow those families back to previous generations to see if there is a Bowman connection.

These would need checked out ...........................

Anc tree shows Janet Porteous - Richard Porteous and Janet Bell - John Porteous and Mary Winstanley - Thomas Porteous and Ann Brown - Archibald Porteous and Janet Carruthers - Thomas Porteous (1677) and Agnes Moffatt - no mention of the name Bowman.

David McNaught - William McNaught and Christiana Bell - Robert McNaught (1783) and Mary Thomson - no mention of the Bowman name.

If you haven't got ancestry, here is another link with those names

http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/m/a/c/Matthew-Macdonald-Leeds/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0575.html

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 September 15 17:33 BST (UK) »
Often middle names (surnames) come from female maiden names further back the line.

Is it possible that the mother of Janet Porteous or David McNaught was a Bowman prior to marriage.

Annie

ADDED.......Post crossed over Sandra's which she has looked up.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gray865

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 September 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
I should have said that I have been checking back on the Porteous and McNaught families and couldn't find a connection to Bowman except that Janet Porteous's mother Janet Bell had a sister Jane Bell who married James Bowman.  I have also placed a query on the Dumfrieshire post re. Christina Bowman aged 10 on the 1881 census living with James Bowman and wife Jane at Shawhill Farm, Riccarton, Ayrshire a niece and scholar b. Holywood, Dumfrieshire, I could not find a birth record on SP, I've also tried different surnames.  Thank you for the quick responses, Gray865

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 September 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
That's probably the Bowman connection then.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 September 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
Is it likely then that Christina was a daughter of Jane Porteous prior to marrying James Bowman.

Sorry......I haven't checked back & forth for all your names & dates to summarise to come to that likelihood but worth checking through what you already have which may throw up something.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 September 15 20:07 BST (UK) »

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 September 15 20:18 BST (UK) »
There's this one (1868) with the mother Janet Borrowman (sic) probably Bowman & father James Porteous but only mentions female re the birth.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYTS-W86

I had one today, exactly the same for 1856, can't find her on SP but she's in the census & IGI have provided both parents names so I wonder why they are not in the statutory records.

I wonder if it was a case of registering the birth before they chose a forename ???

Annie