Author Topic: Christening - James Wilson Webster 1902 Dundee Scotland  (Read 5635 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Christening - James Wilson Webster 1902 Dundee Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 16:06 BST (UK) »
That is good news, Ev :) Would fit with mother and father heading off there at that time from what we have so far.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunshine333

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 September 15 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks everyone, yes that is the family I am researching....I have not been able to find the immigration details in 1922, could you advise where I should look...please...also any help re William Clark  Webster military records ww1...  I really appreciate your help .... :).Rob 

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 September 15 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

The passenger list is on both Ancestry and Findmypast and he is under his full name William Clark Webster, that is Clark without the E.

Andy

Offline sunshine333

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy, thanks for the info....I appreciate your help...you are all great to help ....Rob    ;)

Offline Dundas Family Tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 July 16 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi I have James Wilson Webster in my tree. I am a bit confused as his military records say he was born in 1902 Merewether NSW, yet his shipping record (1926) said he was born Scotland.(James William Webster?) Can anybody clear this up for me please, as I cant find a birth in NSW For him ??William Clark Webster, youngest son Ronald was married to Norma Askew, which  is my connection.
Marj
Reseaching William Thomas & Matilda born Germany,married NewZealand,came to Australia.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 July 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and invest in 30 credits at modest cost (far less than the cost of one single NSW certificate!)

Use 1 credit to find, and 5 to download, the birth certificate of James Wilson Webster, born 1902 and registered in the district of St Mary (Dundee).

There are no other births of James Wilson Websters, and no James William Websters, anywhere in Scotland from 1901 to 1903.

If you reckon he is the right one, you will still have enough credits to find and download 4 more certificates - James' parents' marriage, perhaps, and even those of his grandparents?

Forget about looking for a christening before 1855 as you would need to find out which church the family attended, whether it still exists and/or whether the register of baptisms still exists, and if so where it might be. Needle-in-haystack stuff. Unless you really, really want the religious data, the statutory records will tell you what you need to know.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dundas Family Tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. But I wonder why his NSW Military records say he is born in Merewether NSW Australia ????
Reseaching William Thomas & Matilda born Germany,married NewZealand,came to Australia.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 07:12 BST (UK) »
"..James Wilson Webster........his military records say he was born in 1902 Merewether NSW..."

James Wilson WEBSTER NX5658 WW2  b. Merewether 24 Aug 1902

Possibly not born WEBSTER, the name acquired later.....?

BDM NSW birth 
13961 / 1902 WILSON James  parents Michael / Margaret @ Merewether (24 Aug 1902)

also
4743 / 1904   WILSON Michael R parents Michael / Margaret @ Merewether

Do you have a marriage and death certificate for your James Wilson WEBSTER?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry, everyone. That string of earlier replies wasn't there when I posted my reply - I take it this is a duplicated query that has since been amalgamated by a Moderator.

Rob and Marj, has either of you downloaded his birth certificate yet? If not, you need to do that. There is no other source for that information, and anyone else who downloads it will have to pay for it.

As for why his military record says he was born in Mereweather - might he have lived in Mereweather from infancy, and believed that was where he was born? Or could he just have been fibbing?

If the primary source (the birth certificate) matches later primary sources (marriage and/or death certificates) then you should trust that more than you trust the secondary source (what he told the Army recruiting squad).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.