Author Topic: Help with a Mormon problem Utah  (Read 7429 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Mormon problem Utah
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 September 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
Oh dear this one"Pioneers and prominent men of Utah By Frank Esshom" page 875  says that Elizabeth Hughes married Elijah and Amos Pierre Fordhan son of Elijah and Anna Bibbins CHAFFEE
there is also a tree on Rootsweb with Elizabeth married to Amos showing her parents the same as the one married to Elijah...
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8794549 for Amos Pierre Fordham also has him married to Elizabeth Hughes.
Oh dear what is the correct one what documents can we believe? They are driving me crazy
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 25 September 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
It is difficult, I spent a couple of hours last night and a few hours today to try and collate all the information with what records I could find.  Probably one of those mysteries that will never be fully solved because of conflicting information.

The link in reply 16 goes to a pedigree file where both marriages to both father and son are mentioned.

On the 1860 census Elizabeth Hughes, daughter Elizabeth Fordham and Amos are all with Elijah.  By 1870 Brighton, Salt Lake, Utah Territory. Amos is with Elizabeth and a daughter May Fordham - The daughter of Elijah and Elizabeth - Elizabeth Fordham passed away in 1867. By 1880 Amos is married to Lydia Alice Brandon Fordham (Alice)

This was the daughter Elizabeth Mary Fordham, (4 April 1867)  also shown is the mother of Elizabeth Hughes - Ann Picton. 

FIND A GRAVE

Burial Salt Lake City Cemetery  Salt Lake City Salt Lake County Utah.
Plot: E-7-11

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=31296080&PIpi=13956760

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 26 September 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
No I am sure that Ann Picton was Elizabeth Hughes' mother her husband died of Cholera on journey from wales leaving Ann with a son age 10 and five little girls. I 'll look to see if Julia Ann was one of the other daughters
Now why is julia Ann Clark on the same memorial
https://familysearch.org/patron/v2/TH-300-46926-153-36/dist.pdf?ctx=ArtCtxPublic&session=USYS8563C7FD4C117732318AF040D0DE85B0_idses-prod02.a.fsglobal.net
Julia Ann
Clark f. JosephOClark+Ann
 [2P5B-P1] 
 born 28 Dec 1856 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory; LDS Baptized 10 Jul
1894 in LOGAN; LDS Endowed 11 Jul 1894 in LOGAN; LDS Sealed to
Parents 27 Nov 1962; died 2 May 1877 in <Salt Lake
City, Salt Lake,
Utah Territory>; buried May 1877 in Salt Lake City
Cemetery, Salt Lake
City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory.  She married (1) David John Taylor
 (2) Alfred James Stratton

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 27 September 15 14:38 BST (UK) »
Still plodding along trying to prepare a profile for Elijah and his many wives but I just have to share this little find
Elijah and Anna Bibbins Chaffee had a daughter Ann Maria
She married John Pepper 07 Mar 1863 • Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
they in turn had a daughter Annie Mariah PEPPER
she married Charles W SALT 7 Mar 1895 • Utah, Utah, United States
making her Annie Mariah Pepper Salt
I bet their food was well seasoned

mcmullin.me.uk

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 27 September 15 16:13 BST (UK) »

;D ;D ;D lol

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ~Tricia~

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Mormon problem
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 December 15 04:43 GMT (UK) »

Now what does this mean is the cancelling of a seal the same as a divorce?  I am confused by the terminology is an endowment a marriage is the marriage legally accepted or only true with in the Mormon community? Oh help its very strange .
I am not sure if this was answered:
"Sealing" is an ordinance that is performed in the LDS temples. It is believed by the Mormons that  a couple can be sealed together for all time and eternity. Families can be sealed to each other as well. Canceling the sealing was not a divorce. It is just a recognition that they won't be sealed together.  When Anna canceled the sealing, she was wanting to get married and "sealed" to her soon to be  second husband.

An endowment is an ordinance performed in the temple. People have to have this first before getting married and sealed in the temple. I am going to make this easy on me and post a link.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/mormon/endowment/
LDS marriages are legally accepted, expect involving polygamy.

~If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance~-- George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 December 15 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Great Tricia that makes it a lot clearer In a sort of way endowment is parallel with confirmation after a period of instruction allowing full membership of the church and allowing the person to be more open to the Holy Ghost. And a promise to do God's Will and work in return for His presence with that person.LDS Confirmation seems to be imediately after baptism so doesn't seem to be the same thing as I understand it from the anglican point of view. out of interest if a child has to be of the age of understanding to be baptisedare they not considered members of the church community before that time?
In the UK even before civil registrations in 1837 marriages had to be entered in registers and had to happen in established churches what was the situation in America Were marriages registered anywhere or only recorded where they happened? I have found two of my Mormons apparently marrying on the trek would these marriages be recorded somewhere and who was legally able to preform such marriages? There is an interesting account on line about A W EVINS performing plural marriages in Mexico. There is no mention of how these were registered, although he kept his own list of who he had married both locals and visitors. It seems enough that the people concerned knew they has been through the ceremony conducted by the priest. I have seen plenty of death certificates bit not one marriage certificate.
With out any official proof of marriage how could a divorce occur? One of the people I have been looking at says his wife came to him and asked for her clothes as she was going to marry someone else another account shows a "wife" going to the prison with her intended new spouse to tell her husband she was leaving him even though they had nine children.He was in jail for having two wives so it seemed harsh he had to serve the term out even though she had left him.
Was this the same situation out side the LDS at that time? Were marriages generally not recorded and could folk just walk away and form new relationships at will?
I know UK registration became law in 1837 when did it happen in the States?
This project is proving to be very interesting .
Many thanks for all your help with it.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline ~Tricia~

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 03 December 15 14:34 GMT (UK) »
As for marrying and records and such. In the early years of the church, records of memberships, marriages, and such were at time sketchy. Sometimes non-exsistent. The early time in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS)/aka Mormon was very volatile. Most people did not receive the Mormon Message well. There were many deaths. The members of the church even had to hide the murdered prophet, Joseph Smith's body - their prophet,so the mobs wouldn't take it. Members fled to different areas. I can see why there may not be records of  marriages, births, deaths, etc.
Marriage registration was variable in each state. I have ancestors from OH and marriage records started in the 1830's. But in Michigan, as early as 1867. Of course, if you know which church the ancestor attended/religion, you might have better luck. That is assuming there were an catastrophes that damaged church records.

"It seems enough that the people concerned knew they has been through the ceremony conducted by the priest. I have seen plenty of death certificates bit not one marriage certificate. "~~This is an interesting observation.
I have many LDS friends. I will ask a few and get back to you. They might provide some insight and links to help with your research.

Male members of the church, worthy of such, would "earn" or "prepare" to receive the priesthood. (https://www.mormon.org/faq/purpose-of-priesthood)
There are different levels of the priesthood.  The younger boys were often deacons. They could bless and serve the sacrament. Adult men would work toward becoming an Elder. An Elder can perform rights in the temple (with training). They can marry people outside the temple in a civil ceremony. They can also perform blessings. For those who are sick or troubled.

So, an Elder in the church, including the male ancestors you are researching, I would believe held the priesthood. They can marry persons. Also, in order for them to get married/sealed in the temple, they would have to hold the priesthood/maintain a worthy office of Elder. Does this make sense?

Sorry if this seems jumbled. I worked a night shift and hope it makes sense.

~If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance~-- George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 03 December 15 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Indeed it does all make perfect sense I am very grateful for your explanations. There is so much on line about the families I am totally engrossed with their stories between them they seem to have been committed to just about every migration and skirmish with Indians Mobsters and Mexicans and so many of the children eventually were involved in plural marriages.
Today I have found a great web site with detailed description of the very journey taken by one of mine on the Ellen Marie to New Orleans then the steamer Alexander Scott up the Mississippi. I love the description of how the Mormons were dressed in agricultural labourers clothes and saw slaves accompanying their Mistresses all dressed in fine silk clothes  and how children on the banks threw fresh oranges aboard to them from the river banks  fascinating it is all painting a very full picture of their lives in their new home.

mcmullin.me.uk