Author Topic: Moelyskedwi, Llandrillo and Thomas Jones, Corwen  (Read 5043 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moelyskedwi, Llandrillo and Thomas Jones, Corwen
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Pigot's Directory of 1828-9 has the following entry under Oswestry

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gf5/

Of note,possibly,are
William Jones Ironmonger & Grocer Cross Street
Edward Jones      Grocer                 Bailey Street

There is a burial record for William Jones Cross(St.),(1756-1828),and I think I have found his will(though not at NLW as it is Shropshire).It is extremely long and in a difficult handwriting style to read easily,but I'm fairly sure this is the man.I will try to pick out any salient points,but he certainly seemed to have property in Bailey Street.
although I don't know the birth year for Thomas Jones Grocer/shopkeeper,will 1804 Llanfyllin it seems a  possibility that the William above is the brother named in his will.

In one of those coincidences,I suspect,there is a baptismal record for William Jones
1755,LLanfyllin,illegitimate son of John Jones and Dorothy(Williams)!There are also,however a couple of burials,in Llanfyllin, in the 1800s for a William Jones born 1755.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately,although the will has the phrase "all my brothers and sisters",none are specified as far as I can see.William obviously has extensive property interests which he parcels out to his wife Elizabeth and the following children(probable baptisms from FamilySearch)

John(1792),Alice(1794),Mary(1798),Thomas(1800),Harriet(1801)

There may have been other children possibly a William and probably a Charlotte,though I can find no evidence of an Edward.

REeards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 23:00 GMT (UK) »
If I remember correctly the John Jones of LLanfyllin referred to a Thomas Jones nephew,son of his brother William.While this William had a son Thomas,he also had a son John-surely he would not have omitted hiom,so perhaps this is not a connection.
In yet another possible coincidence there is a William Jones baptised 1756 Llandrillo, to John Jones(of Llangerniew) and Gwen his wife.

Regards
Roger

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 November 15 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Roger,

Many thanks for this - 1755 would have been too early for William to be a son of Dorothy and John Jones anyway so not sure if this man is related! The only connection I have to Llanfyllin is in the will of Gwen Thomas, who mentions them along with the Thomas Jones clerk of Corwen - so I think I will focus my attentions on the connection to Robert Evans of Moelyskedwi at the moment!

Thank you again for your help so far - it has been a great help!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 November 15 20:53 GMT (UK) »
In his will Robert Evans mentions a nephew John Lewis of Vardre.There is  a will for a Foulk Thomas
of Faerdre in 1722.Given the patronymic potential of this name I was just about to see what I could find.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 November 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Also,while looking for "Foulk" variants in Llandrillo I came across the will of Foulk Morgan,1693 of Gartiaen.This property(area?) is the other side of Llechwedd to Moel Is y Coedwig.
In his will,as well as spelling his name Ffoulk,I think he bequeaths "all my lands in Gartiaen,Moelyscedwy and Dinan" to his daughter Elizabeth Ffoulk(again the writing is difficult)

Regards
Roger