Author Topic: Moelyskedwi, Llandrillo and Thomas Jones, Corwen  (Read 5055 times)

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moelyskedwi, Llandrillo and Thomas Jones, Corwen
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 October 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found one:

Though it's worn away considerably, I think it is probably D51: ' -- Jones...the......of Co.......' (clerk of Corwen?), and also his son '--- Jones, son of the above Thomas Jones, who de 30 November aged 60 year ---' (this I think is his son John Jones who died on 30th November 1833, aged 60) - also it is among the cluster of graves for the Joneses of Llechwedd, and Giles, etc.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I am still struggling to find records for Foulk(es) that match your data,but the following seem to be of possible relevance(all Llandrillo):-

Thomas Foulkes marriage to Mary Jones 1828
Ffoulk Jones marriage to Jane Roberts  1738
Foulk Jones burial("Bryngwyn")   1778

I did have a fanciful idea that under the patronymic naming system,Thomas son of Foulk Jones could be rendered Thomas Foulk rather than Thomas Jones under the surname naming system,but I can't make it stick with current dates and data.

I have found another interesting record,that I don't think has been included before(but I could be wrong)
There is a burial record for Robert Jones,parish clerk at Llandrillo,July 1835 aged 56.This would give a birth of 1779 or 1778.There is a record for 1778 for Robert,son of John Jones and Catherine in Tre'r Ddol(name and date  shades of your Ty Isa enquiry??)

The will of Dorothy Jones widow of John is I believe,1828 at Tyn y Groes.In it she refers to a share of lease(?) tools and equipment at The New Mill,Dinam which she bequeaths to son Edward.
In 1848 there is a will of a John Jones miller of Felin Newydd(New Mill) in which he appoints one of his executors as a Thomas Jones of Moelysgedwig. You have her son John going to Oswestry so presumably this is a different John.

Finally,there is a will for William Jones,shopkeeper in 1842.I'm sure I have seen him referred to as a grocer somewhere,but can't find it again at he moment.
(I keep having this ridiculous notion that Giles is somehow a corruption of Giulielmus or William-perhaps better concentrate on the facts!)

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 22:58 GMT (UK) »
As there seem to be many Jones/clerks,I've searched NLW wills for that description in Merioneth.
One I've seen but need to digest further,which seems to have a number of familiar names is Edward Jones,Llangar 1720(Llangar is approx. 1 mile S.W of Corwen-see Genuki) and at first reading has sons Rowland and Thomas.

Regards
Roger

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 October 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Roger,

Many thanks for your help...

Foulk Jones who you refer to (m. 1738 and d. 1778), had a son Robert (b. 1743) and also John (b. 1746), who I wonder could be the John above, father of Robert - but as ever the vast number of Joneses makes this difficult to prove!

The John Jones of the new mill 1848 you refer to is born around 1788 (calculated from burial) so I wonder if he was the grandson rather than son of Dorothy. Her eldest son, John, was born in 1766, so he could quite possibly be his son.

I will look at William Jones - the grocer link is William Jones, grocer of Corwen who d. in 1774 (I refer to earlier on this post)...and he was the uncle of Rowland Jones, clerk.

I will look at Edward Jones, Llangar 1720 - I remember this from a while ago, and think that he was an ordained cleric rather than a lay parish clerk, but still possibly a connection.

Thanks for your help again..will see what more I can find with this info!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I have found five early wills under the variant spelling "Moelysgediw",the last of which,I think,supports earlier speculation of yours.

The will of Robert Evans,1749(presumably related to the Robert Evans of Bodwenni,1780,collecting rents?) names a number of people:-
His son,Evan Roberts - indicating the patronymic use
A daughter Jane - therefore Jane Robert(s) under this system
A son in law Foulke Jones

There is then the 1738 marriage in Llandrillo of Ffoulk Jones to Jane Roberts
This would seem to increase the likelihood that Thomas is their son.

Regards
Roger

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Roger,

This is very interesting and looks like a likely match. His son Evan Roberts, along with his eldest son Robert Evans, appear in a lease/release deed of 1775 for Tyddyn Syrior (NLW), along with John Jones, Voelvodig, Corwen and John Jones, Henblas, Llandrillo - one of which I think must be the husband of Dorothy (& father of Giles), who in his will refers to a document made in the year 1775. The other John could perhaps be Foulke's brother?

I notice in the will of Robert Evans, 1749, that his wife is called Judith Jones. Foulke Jones had an aunt called Judith Jones (b. 1673), the daughter of John Jones and Gwen, and so I wonder whether Foulke Jones and Jane Roberts were in fact cousins - this would put Judith in her late 30s/early 40s when Jane was born however so may be unlikely (Foulke was born in 1715). John Jones and Gwen's first born son (who did not survive infancy) was Evan Jones - I wonder if there could be a deeper connection to this family.

Thanks again,
Jones9

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Going from memory at the moment,and not knowing if the dates fit,didn't John Jones,died 1705,have a  daughter Judith?

Regards
Roger

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes......apologies for confusion I was referring to the same man. Foulke was John's (d.1705) grandson (via his son Thomas and ELizabeth Foulkes), so Judith could be his aunt.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure quite what relationship(s) to look for next - any suggestions?
As a possible aside I had started to look for William Jones,the grocer in Oswestry in case I could find a connection.

Regards
Roger