Author Topic: Southan Dilemma  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Southan Dilemma
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

For the birth certs that you have was William Morgan the informant.

Gerry

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Gerry,
Of the 4 B/C 2 had William M as the informant, 1 the Mother was the informant and on the 4th which was in New Zealand, there was no informant stated.
Annette
Beattie & Sinclair,  Scotland
Hydes/Hides, Southan, Kay, Broughton, Stenton - Yorkshire.  Southan, NZ & USA.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Thanks for that, I have seen where the informant has not been the father and the father's birth place was incorrect but with WM being the informant one would expect that his place of birth of Boston would have been correct.

I had a case with my GGF where on his marriage cert he had stated born in New York, and on his death cert his wife was the informant and stated born in South Africa this left me with doubts. It wasn't until I purchased the birth cert for his first child where my GGF was the informant and he stated that he had been born in the Cape Colony so I was now sure it wasn't New York.  He obviously had something to hide when he married but when it came to his child's birth certificate he was truthful.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 03:02 BST (UK) »
Just remember though that until WWI, the information provided on NSW BDM births was provided verbally, and the clerk asked the questions of the informant, with the reply being written down by the clerk.  This adminstrative task means that the clerk had the ledger book facing him (or her) at the local registry office.  The counters were high and wide to accommodate those very registers.   

So, if the clerk says to the informant "Where was the baby's father born" and the informant responds "Boston", the clerk may well have added United States of America.   The informant would need to be not just literate, but also additionally skilled to read 'upside down' to know with certainity that all the details were exactly as provided.   When the clerk was ready for the informant's signature, the ledger/register would then be swung around and the clerk would say "Sign here" .... and clerk's arm would stretch across much of the newly entered information.   

And another thought .... William Morgan SOUTHAN may well have believed he was born Boston, USA, but I am quite sure he would not actually remember being born.   He was simply providing information given to him.     So, have you searched for other births/baptisms for the surname Southan, possibly in Massachusetts USA ....   If so, were any born to a William Southan?   

And another thought ..... Could Morgan be his mum's nee name?   I notice his son Horace was given Morgan as a second name ....

https://familysearch.org/search  This option should allow you to search records for Massachusetts. 

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 04:32 BST (UK) »
JM,
What a lot of work you have done for me! Thankyou.

You mentioned the name Morgan which has been handed down to my grandfather. WM's wife was Martha Jane BRADLEY and no Morgans in the family.

On researching, I found Thomas Morgan Southan b London abt. 1805 had a son William b 1850.
His daughter Martha, had 12 children and called her son Morgan.
In 1854 the family, Thomas, Louisa wife and their 4 children sailed to Aust. on the Persia and settled in Emerald Hill, South Melbourne.
So we have both families in Australia.

But I did locate a marriage cert for Thomas Morgan Southan to Elizabeth Avelin Suthers in 1854 in Victoria
 and thought it may be a 2nd marriage but the occupations are different.  So we have 2 Thomas Morgans in Australia and I want one to be mine.
Annette
I will Familysearch this afternoon.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 05:00 BST (UK) »
Do you have record of William's arrival in New Zealand?There is a Boston in Lincolnshire also.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 05:10 BST (UK) »
My goodness - interesting!  Another Boston.

I have no record of the arrival of William in NZ.   Cannot find him on immigration before his 1876 marriage in NZ.
Annette

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 01:09 BST (UK) »

But I did locate a marriage cert for Thomas Morgan Southan to Elizabeth Avelin Suthers in 1854 in Victoria
 and thought it may be a 2nd marriage but the occupations are different.  So we have 2 Thomas Morgans in Australia and I want one to be mine.
Annette

Do you have this marriage cert?  What info does this Thomas give about himself? 

Debra  :)

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 02:00 BST (UK) »
Yes Debra I have the M/C.  It says that Thomas Morgan is a widower in 1850.  Born in Herford.  Lived in Emerald Hill and the Parents:  Thomas Southan and Mary Morgan.

I think this is another Thomas Morgan and the Mother's name being Morgan is a coincidence.
Certainly not my Thomas Morgan born in Manchester.
Not sure this is any help.
Annette