Author Topic: French family  (Read 2031 times)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
French family
« on: Monday 21 September 15 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have Jemima French who married Daniel Button in Saxmundham in Suffolk, she died before the census (1825). My search has only found a Jemima in Kent, which seems a bit of a trek in those days!  Originally someone on here found a Jemima as daughter to Nicholas but that has now been discounted. The other Jemima I found was born in 1774 to George and Elizabeth (George was the name given to one of Jemima & Dan's children). I'm wondering a) if there is any marriage to be found for George and Elizabeth and b) what his occupation might have been.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: French family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 September 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
There's a Jemima French on Freereg in Palgrave, Suffolk
Baptised in 1804 Parents John/Jemima.

Could it be that the baby was a young married?
Or could it be that John died and the Mrs Jemima French (widow) became the wife of Daniel?
John/Jemima had their last baptised child on that index in 1812.

Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry should have said that Daniel and Jemima married in 1806 so that rules out any of this family.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
I know it's not what you asked ..... but .... 70 miles away, in Good Easter, Essex, there was a Jemima French baptised in 1778. Parents Daniel & Sarah.

So she'd fit the "plausibly on a travelling route .... of marriageable age by 1806"

.... not helping much am I.  But my response gives your post a bump :)

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 15 23:24 BST (UK) »
Oh my, it could be her as it's a lot nearer than Kent! I hadn't come across any other jemimas than in Kent so had just assumed that was were she was from.
Is there any other info about her or parents in Essex?
I did the maths earlier and realised that jemima & Daniel married late at 32years old but they were both single according to FindMyPast.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
Oh my, it could be her as it's a lot nearer than Kent! I hadn't come across any other jemimas than in Kent so had just assumed that was were she was from.
Is there any other info about her or parents in Essex?
I did the maths earlier and realised that jemima & Daniel married late at 32years old but they were both single according to FindMyPast.
All I know is what's on FreeREG, I have no subscriptions or secret sources .... and I thought I was probably being annoying by not answering what was your original question.

In the main, my enthusiasm to "be of some small help" outweighs my actual usefulness :)

- -

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 00:15 BST (UK) »
Well your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated and has been useful as well  ;)
I googled jemima in Essex and there's a whole load on Igi extracted from the Essex registers, I just wonder why they didn't come up before unless they're new records on there.
So a really big thank you  :D

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
I had another look to see if anything were obvious anywhere and found an Essex collection on FS.
So I stuck her name in and it gave this:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajemima%20%2Bsurname%3Afrench&collection_id=1465709

Which is no further forward with that thread, except to show there was a 2nd Jemima French in the same village, 30 years older, but that older one appears to have married a Caleb.

- -

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 00:21 BST (UK) »
Well your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated and has been useful as well  ;)
I googled jemima in Essex and there's a whole load on Igi extracted from the Essex registers, I just wonder why they didn't come up before unless they're new records on there.
So a really big thank you  :D
I often wish they'd mark new records in some way, so you could see what's been added recently.

- -