Author Topic: French family  (Read 2030 times)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
Re: French family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
I just looked on Freereg and boy has that changed since I last used it!
 :)
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 00:36 BST (UK) »
I just looked on Freereg and boy has that changed since I last used it!
It is good... but, like all systems, it has niggles.

I make sure I try to remember every site and do a "round robin" of every site to check everything.  If I have 4-5 potential sources of information for one bit of information then I like to check them all, so I know I am minimising the potential for going wrong .... and I then document everything I did/found, so I can drop/pick up anything I was doing, with all my findings/thoughts in a document per person - complete with screenies.  I don't want to have to go and load a site again to check what I thought I saw, I do a screenie and dump that into the person document, so I can see what I saw when I thought I saw it :)

Never trust the Internet ... or your own sanity.
Related to: Lots of people!
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Stanleys

Just scrolling through and saw the name French, in Kent.  I know that a French family lived at or near Meopham because my aunt worked for them as a nanny.  This would be in about 1925 -1930.  They were farmers and owned quite a bit of land.  I am sure they were there for at least 25 - 30 years.  You could try looking for them in this area.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Honeybun, I'll take a look.
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been trying to remember some of the names of the children of the French family, the only one is Helen, but I think there were about four.  I have just Googled "French family Meopham" and there are a few sites with details about the family in the village - some of them detail information found in the church from 1700's.  There is nothing in the 1911 as far as I can see. 

Honeybun

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just Googled French family, Gravesend and you will find several sites.  There is a current business run by two of the French family, agricultural contractors, descendants of the family my aunt worked for (head of the family then was Bob French).  The French family have owned land in this area since the 1800's.  The website for the Gravesend and Rochester Agricultural Association will give you some details.  It might help you work back in the family tree, if it is the same one.

Honeybun