Author Topic: William Peake  (Read 6345 times)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Peake
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 September 15 15:46 BST (UK) »
plugging name into search box on my site brings up an obit from North American Manx Assoc re death in July 1941 - final job florist in Buffalo

Fanny + Henrietta Peake were still in Castletown in 1881 - Henrietta dying in 1905 age 54

might be worthwhile to check on www.imuseum.im especially for newspaper reports - since James predeceased his father I'd expect a memorial inscription in Malew
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 September 15 08:35 BST (UK) »
if Elizabeth died at a young age then one strong contender is Elizabeth Bridson bur age 22 26 Jul 1868 - noted as of Queen Street - she would be about 16 at birth of child too young to marry - the Peake family would appear to have some money and could support the mother - she is I think the dau of Thomas Bridson also living in Queen street in 1861 - might explain the family story

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 September 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
whilst in Manx Museum checked up on KWC
George Peake born 20 Nov 1848 son of J B Peake  entered Aug 1859 left May 1862 , farming in New Zealand d 1895 in New Zealand
appears that James did not attend that school

The MI for Peake family in Glebe yard Malew (stones E15,16) fills in most of story:
 Sacred / to / the / memory / of JAMES BUDGEN PEAKE  ESQUIRE / Third son of the late / THOMAS PEAKE  ESQUIRE / of Lincoln's Inn, Sergeant at Law / who died at Castletown / on June 2nd 1878 / Aged  69 years / Also of his two sons / ROBERT WILLIAM  YOULE PEAKE / who vas drowned at / St. Thomas West Indies / on January 12th 1864 / Aged 27 years  JAMES WOODS PEAKE / who died at Braddan on August  30th 1874 / aged 34 years / and of his daughter / MARGARET ANN PEAKE / who died at Castletown on  November 15th 1878 / aged 35 years / Also of  FANNY widow of the above James B. Peake / and only daughter of JOSEPH FLETCHER WOODS / of  Oakham, County Rutland / who died at The Green  Castletown, November 23rd 1887 /-Aged 74 years / Also of HENRIETTA JANE / youngest daughter of  the above who died / January 5th 1905, aged 54 years.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 September 15 09:43 BST (UK) »
having tried to match Elizabeth I looked back at my photo of presentment - It is an Elizabeth Bridson who is presented but this looks to be a mistake as Margt is entered in a different hand above the entry [I'm not sure how to post a photo but can send it to you if you PM me] and the court note is
At a chapter court held in Castletown on the 17th day of May 1861 Margaret Bridson having appeared and made oath upon the Holy Evangelists that James Peak of Castletown is the father of the said illegitimate child (the same being admitted by Frederick J Gelling esq advocate in behalf of said James Peak) The said child is therefore affiliated on the said James Peak in due form

an advocate appearing at these courts is unusual and confirms that Peak's family had some social standing - I presume the father is the young James W and not the James B senior - Margt Bridson would appear to have had another illeg a couple of years earlier.

There is a burial for a Margaret Bridson of Queen St age 35 at Malew 9 Jan 1870 - would fit Margt d/o Richard + Lucy - the reported ages for Richard would fit s/o Robert Bridson + Jane als Bridson bapt Malew 17970317 but there are two Richards bapt around this time but naming eldest son Robt would add some strength to my choice.  There might be a MI in Malew but generally Queen St was a fairly tightly knit group of the lower social strata in Castletown (T E Brown's comment was there were more social classes in Castletown than skins in an onion) - there could be wills but again looking at social class this is rare post 1800 - more interesting is that James Peake senr left no will (tho wife Fanny + dau Harriet did)

It may well be King William's college that provided the meeting ground as at least two sons of J B Peake went there and the eldest son of Richard Bridson was noted as a servant there in 1841 + the college employed numerous women to feed + clean  - I didn't note James W as a pupil (the J Peak in the index was younger and came from Runcorn) tho I might have missed him but James W is noted as a draper's asst in 1861 which would be somewhat unusual for a family professing a high social standing.

Small correction the 1881 census entry - W Peak is at house of Thomas Watterson (also of Castletown) with a couple of other Manx boarders

Offline kapeake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
So you think Margaret Bridson and James W. Peake are the routes I should investigate? Or Robert William Peake? William's (my great grandfather), father died at sea. Also, if you can send me the photo you mention, that would be great, or any other info you may have. Thanks again!

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
need an email address to post photo - contact me via my website (in my profile)
Margt looks to be mother - no Elizabeth in that family than I can see (not sure why the presentment is in name of Elizth but Margt appeared in court - re the Wm who died at sea I suspect he was already at sea when child was conceived - also court + advocate both seem to accept James (tho which one father or son) as father of child.
The MI gives you all the bio material you need - the whole Peake family were non Manx
The elder James was a debtor in prison in 1864 (can send you that cutting as well) there might well be more in local papers - see www.imuseum.im tho you will need take out a subscription

Tracing Richard back is going to be trickier I think - there is a note in IoM Times 27 Nov 1847 that Wm Bridson eldest s/o Mr Richard Bridson of Queen street died by accident boarding his vessel whilst in Kenmore Ireland

Offline kapeake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
I just want to make sure I am making sense of this. William's father did die at sea according to my grandfather (William's son). James W sounds to be the father, then?

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 16:44 BST (UK) »
a Wm Peake died at sea but the child's father was noted to be James Peake - don't think Margt had two children by different members of family - his aunts/grandfather probably told him a few white lies (his mother if Margt, d 1869(from memory) - the younger James was dead by 1874 and the elder james 5 years later - as I said Fanny + Harriet/Henrietta left wills - you may be able to buy a copy from Manx museum library@mnh.gov.im but they are on Mormon (church of Jesus Christ latter day saints - they run fam history centres try your local phonebook) film 0106507 for Fanny's will 1888 and 0106550 for 1905 will of henrietta

Offline kapeake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 16:45 BST (UK) »
Wonderful, I will go to that site and start my search. Thanks again, this is truly exciting.