Author Topic: Family Historian, am I thick? Gedcom disaster  (Read 14888 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian, am I thick? Gedcom disaster
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I've decided to delete all the BMD info of my direct ancestors added through Ancestral Sources and start again, adding the data to the main tab screen in FH6, adding notes to the various events. This appears to be the best solution (for me), and I'm now getting reports more or less as I'd like them, though they still need tweaking  ;D

Following smudwhick's advice though, I will add the census data via AS (but again, adding notes re residence and occupation to the FH screen).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline sustev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 21 July 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
I'm another one new to Family Historian, enjoying the 30 day trial. In the past I've been using an old version of FTM making regular GEDCOMs, emailing them to myself and opening them in my Heredis app on my ipad. With no trouble. However now, although I can do the GEDCOM export from FH using the File > Export route, the notes are missing when I open Heredis.  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I made sure nothing was excluded when I did the export.

Is this anything to do with the fact that in FH my notes appear in the bottom of the 2 windows of the notes tab (which I think I can fix using the Clean Up Notes plug in when I purchase the program, putting them into the top box - is that right?).

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 30 October 16 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rootschat ! This is interesting.

I`m also trying the 30 day trial of FH, just to see what it does. So far, I think it is closer to the  previous program I was using. I`ve more or less decided to start inputting all the data from scratch rather than using gedcom, in the hope that I can review everything as I go along.
 I was doing a review when I had a problem with the previous program, so I may as well start again.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 31 October 16 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm another one new to Family Historian, enjoying the 30 day trial. In the past I've been using an old version of FTM making regular GEDCOMs, emailing them to myself and opening them in my Heredis app on my ipad. With no trouble. However now, although I can do the GEDCOM export from FH using the File > Export route, the notes are missing when I open Heredis.  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I made sure nothing was excluded when I did the export.

Is this anything to do with the fact that in FH my notes appear in the bottom of the 2 windows of the notes tab (which I think I can fix using the Clean Up Notes plug in when I purchase the program, putting them into the top box - is that right?).

I've only just seen your post regarding notes from FH - All notes I've entered on FH appear on  the  Heredis App but not in an obvious manner. On the main screen of the App for an individual you should have the main box for the individual whch has the usual basic info - tapping on this box brings up another screen which contains further information including (in my case anyway) any notes I have attached to the individual.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 31 October 16 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The real problem is the Gedcom file specification as implemented by each software vendor.
It is NOT a "be all to all".

Basically for each individual on a tree there are elements of data each with a keyword.

Some software vendors create non-standard gedcom file contents.
Some software vendors take the basic/latest specification (Version 5.5.1 or previous)
and then add their own  keywords+data.

Gedcom V5.5.1 (and previous) does not include (for example) media items such as pictures/documents/"separate elements".

Some pieces of software can export a tree file as .csv file type so that you can import that file into "EXCEL" making it easily modifiable

One really interesting piece of software is GEDXLATE (G@@gle it / it's on Rootschat too)
http://www.gedmagic.com/gedxlate.htm

One thing you should do if you do have Gedcom data problems is to read the Gedcom file specification.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pmcbride/gedcom/55gctoc.htm

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 31 October 16 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I've only just seen your post regarding notes from FH - All notes I've entered on FH appear on  the  Heredis App but not in an obvious manner. On the main screen of the App for an individual you should have the main box for the individual whch has the usual basic info - tapping on this box brings up another screen which contains further information including (in my case anyway) any notes I have attached to the individual.

Falkyrn, do you export using the Export Gedcom File plugin (http://www.family-historian.co.uk/pluginstore/plugin-entry?id=522 ) and use the Heradis by BSD Concept option?

I'm not sure what the BSD concept is but I wondered if it may fix the problems BillyF is having. 

Billy, the creator of the plugin is a regular contributor on the Family Historian User Group Forum - http://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/ - so it may be worth checking by raising a post on there to see what format the Notes records are transferred via the plugin to Heradis.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »

Falkyrn, do you export using the Export Gedcom File plugin (http://www.family-historian.co.uk/pluginstore/plugin-entry?id=522 ) and use the Heradis by BSD Concept option?

I'm not sure what the BSD concept is but I wondered if it may fix the problems BillyF is having. 

Billy, the creator of the plugin is a regular contributor on the Family Historian User Group Forum - http://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/ - so it may be worth checking by raising a post on there to see what format the Notes records are transferred via the plugin to Heradis.

Yes I use the plug in - but I export as standard 5.5 gedcom as I use the gedcom file for other Apps too, strip out multimedia and most (if not all) of the other settings are at default values

PS BSD Concept are the company who publish Heredis.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Oooer ! A lot of this goes way over my head !!

All I want is a program that lets me see my tree (s ) at a glance, allows me to make reports, charts and   enter or view my citations. I had downloaded another program, but it asked for a subscription to view the citations  - it`s not happening. I`ve been years doing this, already spending money on certs, copies, travel etc. ,but thankfully I have hard copies of most.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Oooer ! A lot of this goes way over my head !!

All I want is a program that lets me see my tree (s ) at a glance, allows me to make reports, charts and   enter or view my citations. I had downloaded another program, but it asked for a subscription to view the citations  - it`s not happening. I`ve been years doing this, already spending money on certs, copies, travel etc. ,but thankfully I have hard copies of most.

:)

Family Historian (and most of the rest) will do all of that for you although FH is capable of a lot more - certainly a lot more than I use, it's one of those programs which can be as simple as you like but has the power and flexibility to do a lot more.