Author Topic: Pronunciation of Tierney, please?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Pronunciation of Tierney, please?
« on: Tuesday 22 September 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
My husband's ancestor was Patrick Tierney, born c1838 in County Cavan, possibly in (the parish of?) Knockbride.

I am wondering how he might have pronounced his name, please?  Living in the states, I've heard it pronounced Tear-knee.  We have found records from Mr. Tierney's time in Dundee, Scotland (during the 1860s) and in some cases other Tierney's were recorded as Tarney (among other spellings).

I know that correct spelling was not a concern "back then" and there were many reasons why someone's name would be spelled different ways.

However, yesterday I found a notice of the passing of Mr. Tierney's wife (her death was in California) and the spelling was again Tarney.  I started wondering how he might have pronounced his name.  Now, just out of curiosity, would anyone know, please, how someone who was born and possibly lived in County Cavan would have pronounced the name Tierney?  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Pronunciation of Tierney, please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
I'd pronounce that as a bodily function and a body part: Tear nee.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
There are two ways to say tear, aren't there?  ::)  Thank you for clearly stating your pronunciation.   ;)

Thank you for posting, it's nice to know how others would pronounce the word.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
I went to school with a girl called Kierney - and that's how she pronounced it.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you, StanleysChesterton.  That's perfect.  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 22:49 BST (UK) »
Lisa,

I know someone with the same surname pronounced as you thought....teernee (so as not to confuse with tear/rip).

What you need to think of is.........an Irish accent could make the "teer" sound like "tare" & of course when other's write things they tend to spell it as it sounds (well, in those days) whereas nowadays they usually ask how it's spelled.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie:

Yes, there are several factors to consider when viewing surnames, including someone mistaking the writing, such as my Vaus ancestors who have been found as Vans and Ovens read as Owens.  It can certainly make researching a challenge!

Thank you for your interest in reading my thread and for your reply.  It is very much appreciated.   :)

Offline maduganme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 06:16 BST (UK) »
You mentioned Dundee in Scotland, I am Scottish and I would pronounce Tierney as teer/nay
with the pronunciation being more "eee" and as in the sound a horse would make...  neigh   ;D
teernay

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi maduganme:

Thank you for your reply.  I'm at the point in the Tierney research that reading the little personal things is just as important as finding facts.  While I've researched my husband's ancestors quite a bit, the Tierneys are my "favourites".   ;)  Thank you for your help, maduganme.