Author Topic: Help finding what became of George Henry Mills  (Read 3486 times)

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding what became of George Henry Mills
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 July 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying. I know quite a bit more info and have got back with The  family to 1811 if you are interested. I also discovered that Mills should not really have been the family name.Your mothers grandfather, George H Mills senior, was himself illigitimate-born George Dallow in 1861 to Caroline Dallow(1837-1887)She took a man called Edward James before Bromyard petty sessions in 1862 for failiure to pay child support and won her case.(i cannot track him further as the court records don't survive ). In 1865 she married James Mills and the child took his name.Perhaps that explains why George senior did not disown his own daughter Caroline (named for his mother)when history repeated itself and she had my grandad.(she was not quite 16 at the time)
She went on to work for the Fortey family caring for their children and when the wife died she married Charles Fortey who was already in his 50's. She was about 26. They went on to have 4 children and lived in the Much Marcle area. She died in 1962. I know where she is buried but have yet to visit. 
The sister who your mother remembers would probobly have been Beatrice Annie(1897-1975). She remained living at the forge  married to Charles Bethall and she is buried at Collington.
The other sister Ellen/Helen(1888-?) moved to Edgbaston Birmingham in service and then married Albert Johnson and had at least 3 children.
Of the Mills brothers,I traced your grandfather because I have a copy of Annies will which named him as executor.
I also know of John (1892-1946) who remained in the Bromyard area and is also buried at collington.
I think he had a twin Thomas who I can find no record of past 1911.
James Edward
(1893-?) who also vanishes after the 1911 census.

Alfred William
(1895-?)who was discharged from the army in 1916 due to hammer toes and then vanishes.
 Albert Ernest (1899-1923) who died in Evesham hospital aged 23 and is buried at collington and
Christopher walter (1901-1951) who lived in Colwell and died "at the railway station" aged 50.
I always meant to research the Dallows but haven't done any research for about 2 yrs now. I may get back to it after receiving your message.
Kim

Hackett, Mills, Hart, Dunn

Offline Interesting Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding what became of George Henry Mills
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Katy - My name is Barbara by the way!! That is fascinating and yes, I would love to know more too! I have a cousin  aged 70( my Mother's sister's youngest daughter)who lives near Manchester so I will contact her just incase she may know any facts or stories that she was told by her Mum or our Granny & Grandad. If I do find anything else I will certainly contact you. Please keep in touch - happy hunting!