Author Topic: Help finding what became of George Henry Mills  (Read 3502 times)

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding what became of George Henry Mills
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
Yes Sandra, that is the right one. I've tracked him until he is living at Church street Kington Herefordshire on the 1911 census as a servant to baker and confectioner John Hussey. After that I can find nothing in England or on the few Canadian things I can access.The giving of his trade as farmer and baker on the entry to Canada made me think,given what I already knew, it could be correct.
I do know the family tree referred to but also know of a few errors on it. I now know what happenned to all but 3 of The Mills Family from Collington Forge but George is one of the sons I just can't track!
Guess it's likely I may never know the answer-unless he appears on the England 1921 census when that is finally released!!
Hackett, Mills, Hart, Dunn

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
Would you have an exact date of birth for him ?  Might help us check if he crossed the border into USA and appears on the SSDI (Social Security Death Index)   ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 18:25 BST (UK) »
I believe his birth was march 1891 in Tenbury registration district of Worcestershire. not sure of exact date.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately need the exact date. Who was the informant on his father's death ?  Was there a will ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
From his school records, I have the possible birth date 21st Jan 1891 (then under Henry Mills)
His father George died 22nd July 1920 and is buried at Collington St Marys church but I don't know who the informant was and I've not found a will as yet.My info came from the church records.

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 September 15 22:39 BST (UK) »
I think I may have solved it! Geo H Mills, giving his address as Collington Bromyard returned to England aboard The Missanabie arriving Liverpool on 28th November 1914. So he was in Canada for only about 6 months.

Offline Interesting Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 July 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Katy - just happened to find this website by accident.  I believe the GEORGE HENRY MILLS you were searching for was my Grandfather. He married Ethel Mary Mills who was a confectioner and they had two children - Hilda Mary and (my mother) - Irene. Irene is now 92 and has often mentioned that Grandad went to Canada with a friend and then WW1 broke out so they came back to enlist.  Grandad had a weak chest to he couldn't sign up but went on to be a farmer and shopkeeper in Cheshire and then North Wales. His family were blacksmiths and the forge remains was opposite the church in Collington, we actually went to visit approx 25 years ago. Surely this is the same George Henry you are asking about as there are too many coincidences. I will check with my Mother to see if she can remember her Father's birthday and year. Hope to hear back from you .....

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 July 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
Oh wow! Yes,the same George Henry. My grandfather was known as Sam  Mills but George on his official documents . I now know he was the illigitimate son of George Henry's sister Caroline but he always gave George and Annie mills from Collington as his parents not grandparents.(They raised him) so for years my family couldn't understand why we could not find any details as we knew nothing of Caroline. Then i finally solved the puzzle with help from Bromyard history society and tried to find out what became of all The mills siblings from Collington who would have actually been my grandad's uncles and aunts but I think were more like brothers and sisters to him.
I have also visited there and found my great great grandparents grave, traced my great grandmother Carolines marriage to Charles Fortey and a few other bits and pieces but I would love to know what became of the other family members.it would be amazing if your mother could solve any of this puzzle for me. thank you so much for replying
  Kim

Offline Interesting Searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 July 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I've been to visit my Mother today and during her reminiscing she recalled how her Father was almost paranoid about her being home by 9 pm when she was a teenager and she once said to my Grandmother 'Why is Dad so unfair about me being home so early when other girls are allowed to be out later'. My Granny told her that he'd has a Sister who became pregnant when she was unmarried and it brought shame on the family (as it did in those days), so that was probably why. My Mum had been told that the Sister had been made to marry an older man. My Grandad died when I was 12, in 1962 and apparently his sister came to the funeral, Mum thinks it was Beatrice. MUm is now 92 and although she is very 'switched on' her memory of any contact with her Father's family is vague. I suppose they were living in North Wales and Grandad's family were still in Herefordshire & in those days people didn't travel that far. My Mum seemed to suddenly recall quite a few things about her Dad but unfortunately she has no knowledge of any members of his family, her Sister, Hilda, passed away last year so we can't ask her either. I was wrong when I mentioned that my Grandad didn't enlist into the Army because of a chest complaint, apparently they did accept him but he was restricted to UK service. I'm so sorry we can't help unravel the mystery of the other siblings as obviously we are keen to find out more. Surely such a large family as the 'Mills' should produce a few more links. Please, please keep in touch. Happy hunting!