Author Topic: Oswald James Hatton.  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oswald James Hatton.
« on: Wednesday 23 September 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
I'm rather hoping that Spendlove catches sight of this..cos its made just for a very lateral thinking mind!!

Hi Carol............in spite of the wealth of records and experience that i have, I need your added skill in relation to the Hattons of Melbourne Derbyshire.

I'm not so much bothered about the doubtful parenthood of the above Oswald, as i have more or less worked it out.it's the fact that the Hattons of Melbourne (shoemakers cordwainers and the like) are NOT my Hattons........except one..WILLIAM HATTON 1818 son of Thomas and Dorothy.
He went on to marry into the Woodalls..and produce JOHN HATTON born 1848 Stanton by Bridge. which began the Melbourne Market gardening "dynasty"

Fast forward to the 1901 and 1911 Census..the 1911 calls them HALTONS.....and you'll see John and Eliza had multiple children...........BUT NONE of them appear to have been baptised......certainly not at Melbourne........

All the children of Thomas and Dorothy Hatton are in the Melbourne PR's as HATTON....but appear on Family Search as HALTON.......and the family of John Hatton 1848..grandson of Thomas appears on the 1911 as HALTON.

There appeasr to be no Baptism for Oswald James Hatton.............who's mother was ELIZABETH WINGFIELD ( who I can't find anywhere)..and I suspect the father was JAMES HATTON..the only son of john hatton for whom there is not a marriage. I have sent for the Birth cert..as this person is an ancestor of my own brother's son's wife .........

I would be very grateful for any positive thoughts about baptisms for the children o John Hatton and Elizabeth nee Shaw.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Oswald James Hatton.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 15 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek,

Have family staying at present, but took a quick look.

Note that Thomas & Dorothy Hatton did batch christening for a lot of their children, which indicates
they were not particularly church goers.  (wonder why they had batch christened?)  This none attendance at church could be a reason why John & Eliza did not bother, just relied on Civil Registration as so many others did.

I note that Oswald Hatton in 1818 Army Service Record states his Mother is named Winfield, so
she had obviously married again.  There is a possible marriage June Q 1901 Shardlow, Elizabeth
Hatton to Francis Henry Winfield.  Her residence is given as  ? Farm, Lea Marston, Warwickshire.

No luck finding Oswald  1901 census or his mother on 1901 or 1911 census.

Will take another look this evening.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
have found mother in 1911 - she's down as Lizzie

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW7L-392

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 September 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
is she not at home with her parents on 1901 - as Lizzie aged 23?

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 September 15 22:21 BST (UK) »
Mabel...thank you very much...........born Melbourne look very interesting...........but Tamworth??? actually not that far away..I wonder why she was there?????..there is a suggestion that in 1919 she is back in Melbourne, but perhaps i am interpreting Oswalds Army papers wrongly.

Thanks again Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 September 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
this is her husband Frank (Francis)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW7L-39L

In 1901 he's living in Woodville, Shardlow district

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 15 22:46 BST (UK) »
I read his army papers as suggesting that at the time of recruitment mother Elizabeth Wingfield [sic] is living at ? Farm, Lea Martson, which is a couple of miles from Kingsbury, the parish where frank and Lizzie Winfiled are living in 1911

Still doesn't solve where Oswald is in 1901!

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 September 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel..you're getting better and better............but!.....what was Lizzie's maiden name..........if we have the right girl..born 1881.......then she was only 16 when she gave birth to Oswald in 1897......and already married??????????.............and where is the 1901 entry you quote..living with her parents?............I'd love you to be right..so convince me............

Derek

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 September 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
Mmmmmm..I see that the suggestion is that she is actually Elizabeth Hatton .......daughter of John and Eliza..........who i believe married Sidney Elson Tivey in 1901........
or............at the age of 19..if she was born in 1878..or 17 if she was born in 1880.she gave birth ot Oswald in December 1897........as a Winfield???????..not possible..Oswald was a Hatton..not a Win(G)field....so she married frank Winfield in 1901...yet Oswald, when he signed up in the South Staffs said he was a Hatton?????????????.
I await delivery of his Birth Certificate that might shed some lght on his fathet..yhough somehow i doubt it.
Spendlove..I sent you a long appreciative message, but as i tried to send it...the red message came up that i have received an answer (from mabel)..so it looks like I then forgot to pree the button..and now its very late.......so will resume hostilities at first light!!!

Many thanks.........