Author Topic: St. Paul's Tartaraghan - Baptism LOOK-UP  (Read 5600 times)

Offline DistantCousins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Paul's Tartaraghan - Baptism LOOK-UP
« on: Thursday 24 September 15 02:19 BST (UK) »
Additional research on my great grandfather has pointed me in the direction of Tartaraghan Parish.   I believe his parents resided primarily in Cloncore and a baptism record would prove or disprove this theory.   I'm looking for Robert John Williamson born between 1860 - 1862 (possibly 3 April 1861).    Any help would be most welcomed.  Thank you in advance. 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Paul's Tartaraghan - Baptism LOOK-UP
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 15 09:10 BST (UK) »
RC registers are online..  registers.nli.ie
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the site DistantCousins

There were several WILLIAMSON families in Tartaraghan in the 1860s
See Link here to familysearch.org site results of search on family name in area

Samuel & Mary Jane WALKER
John & Hannah MAGEE
Thomas & Sarah PALMER
as they all appear to be Church of Ireland their records won't be on NLI's catholic registers

rootsireland.ie have Tartaraghan Baptism records from 1865 only

The only record looking hopeful immediately is the Civil Record of
Birth John Robert WILLIAMSON Armagh 1864 Q- V11 P71
but he looks as if he was from Market Hill - LINK
and the son of William and Mary CROZIER
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Checao

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 15 10:19 BST (UK) »
Armagh Ancestry, part of rootsireland.ie are currently computerising the records for Tartaraghan CI, Milltown CI (part of Tartaraghan CI pre 1840), Annaghmore CI and Loughgall CI.  Contact them direct at researcher@armaghbanbridgecraigavon.gov.uk

Many families are recorded in several of these registers as it would appear that for periods the one Minister was covering more than one Church and baptisms appeared to have been recorded in the various registers.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Checao for this information

In case the moderator removes the email address from your post -
this is a LINK to the Co. Armagh Genealogy Site
which give the email and contact details across the bottom
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline DistantCousins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your research advise.   The vital record for "John Robert" in 1864, is not my great grandfather (his father does not match).   I believe John Williamson and Hannah Magee to be probable great great grandparents.  I have obtained their other children's birth/baptism records from pay per view sites.   John has been listed as a 'weaver' and 'labourer'.  According to the Griffith Valuation Revision records, John's name was removed in 1895.  The whereabouts of this family is not known. 

I have not found a C of I marriage for John and Hannah (Anna, Ann, Annie, etc).  from 1846 to 1865.  (Even tried searching without 'Magee' in case she was widowed at the time of marriage).  It is possible she was RC and married in her parish (it is not Tartaraghan or surrounding area - I've searched).   

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the original Tartaraghan records or those online?

As mentioned by Checao " rootsireland.ie are currently computerising the records for Tartaraghan CI, Milltown CI (part of Tartaraghan CI pre 1840), Annaghmore CI and Loughgall CI" which could include more relevant information for your family.

What is your basis for believing that John WILLIAMSON and Hannah MAGEE are Robert's parents as there are several WILLIAMSON families in the area at that time as previously mentioned.
Further generations:

Offline DistantCousins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 September 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
I shall patiently wait for the new release of records.   Hopefully, it will cover the earlier years.

My reason for believing John Williamson and Hannah Magee are my great great grandparents (?) is based on a passenger list.   My great grandfather emigrated to Canada from Belfast in 1913, with the rest of the family following in 1914.   Recently I discovered Robert John on another passenger list, arriving in New York in the year 1918.  He was enroute to his Toronto residence.

This is a significant clue!!!  The name given as  "relative/friend of where came" on the passenger list is my basis for Tartaraghan research.   I did some look-ups on this man (relative and/or friend) who lived in Belfast.  It turns out his wife is Elizabeth Williamson, born circa 1857 in Co. Armagh.   Their marriage took place at St. Paul's Tartaraghan on 10 March 1877;  she states her residence as Cloncore and her father as John Williamson, labourer. 

I keep asking myself, why would Robert John travel back to Ireland (Belfast) during the trouble and dangerous times of the First World War? (Incidentally, the ship he sailed on was struck by German U-Boats two months later).   Was there an illness and/or death in the family or an estate to be settled?  None that I've found!   Elizabeth died in 1904. 

Coincidence?  Elizabeth named her first born daughter, Mary Hannah.  Robert John named his first born son, John George.    Both Elizabeth and R. J. left Co. Armagh.  By 1889 they were both living in Belfast.  Throughout the years the lived fairly close to one another.     

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 September 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
These are good reasons to suppose the family correct unfortunately until the records are available....
Contacting the people doing the transcriptions you may be lucky in getting a lookup now!

I could not locate an ancestor but found their son was arrested and as his parents were by then deceased, he gave his aunt as next of kin - her church marriage record showed her mother's maiden name! It's all detective work! Best of luck in your searching
Further generations: