Author Topic: Ship Lady Turner  (Read 2197 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Lady Turner
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 September 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
KGarrad has the correct vessel.
From 1839 until 1846 (See below) all the recorded voyages in Lloyd's Register point to her being on a regular trade Clyde to Newfoundland and return, possibly on a triangular route Clyde-Newfoundland- Oporto-Clyde.
LADY TURNER ceases to be recorded in Lloyd's Register after 1st July 1844- 30 June 1845 I think it is a fair bet she was lost in the first half of 1846 although I cannot confirm this.
To find out if your man was on board you need to look at her Crew Agreements for 1846. If these are anywhere they will be in the British National Archive in Piece BT98/933 for 1846 and BT98/666 for 1845.
I am at the archive tomorrow and will endeavour to take a look if you so wish but be aware many of these documents are missing.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 September 15 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer to look up the records - I was alerted to these records on Find my Past by another helpful researcher and this is where I found his name but would be interested to know if he was on the ship  between 1839 and 1845. It would be great if you could check 1845.

Originally I was looking for John Manners' brother William Manners and found him going to sea in 1840 but don't know which ship. He was on the Dunbarton Census in 1841 but not in 1851 and arrived in Australia 1853. I believe he went to the Californian goldfields sometime between 1841 and 1852.

If you happen to come across William in searches that would be great but don't go to any trouble.

Thanks again
Dudley, Tipton, Worcestshire - ATTWELL, FISHER, RICHARDS, INCE, SHEERWOOD
Greenock, MANNERS, CAMPBELL, MONTGOMERY, LECKIE

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 September 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
Seaweed, never cease to be amazed by your very specific knowledge on this area. Hoped that you might see this post...and you did  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 September 15 22:46 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with you Monica. That's why I like RootsChat -  so many knowledgeable people who are willing to help with our brick wall queries. I hope my scant knowledge grows and I can help others someday.

Shirley

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 19:10 BST (UK) »
I looked at the Greenock crew agreements in BT98/933 (1846) not surprisingly, nothing there. I also looked at BT98/287 (1835-1844) This was mishmash and although there were crew agreements for LADY TURNER going back to 1835 there was nothing after 1841 with no mention of your man.
The key Crew agreements for 1845 in BT98/666 was being read by another reader so I could not view these.
I will be back at Kew in mid November. Just PM me around then, just to remind me.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking.

I suspect the vessel may have been one of those lost at sea but no one knows where or when. I expect that the only time the vessel was missed was when it did not return in 1846 when it was expected and that's why it is mentioned in John's record as lost at sea in 1846.

At least the records confirm 'lost at sea' rather than desertion.

Shirley