Author Topic: Poor Law Records - 1870 - 1874 (Glasgow)  (Read 2253 times)

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poor Law Records - 1870 - 1874 (Glasgow)
« on: Thursday 24 September 15 08:52 BST (UK) »
While doing some research at the Mitchell yesterday, i looked up 2 relatives that i know who would applied for poor law between the years 1870 & 1874...

These records are missing from the Mitchell, apparantley, when the Mitchell inherited the records in the 1970s, the years 1870 to 1874 were missing.

My questions is, is are these records in exsistance anywhere else....or just missing for good?

Thanks
REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Law Records - 1870 - 1874 (Glasgow)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
Paul, the best people to ask this question to are likely to be the Mitchell Library staff themselves. They have done so much hard work in this area of maintaining/preserving these records and making them available to all. They are likely to know if records are lost or housed elsewhere and not with them.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
It depends which area of "Glasgow" you are researching.  The existing records of the poor law authorities in Glasgow and other areas in the west of Scotland  -  Bute, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire -  are housed at the Mitchell.

Records of Govan Poor House Hospital Infirmary are in Clyde archives - and probably there are other such records held in NHS archives, which may be an additional avenue of research for you.

Also, records for claimants of  poor relief who were refused by the Parochial Board may be held with Sheriff court records, since appeals were made there. It may be that if poor relief  was denied or inadequate to claimants of the Parochial Board, then an appeal was made  to the Scottish Board of Supervision. You may wan to check the SBS Appeals Summary for the years you are interested in. Some pay per view sites have  access to these records online.

Just another thought - if your ancestors were previously working in a trade, then there may be applications made to the poor roll of that trade - for example, hammermen, goldsmiths etc.
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thank you for your suggestions and replies.

The area in particular is Glasgow, Clyde.

I did ask the very helpful advisor at the Mitchell and she just aadvised that the poor law records for those years were just never given to the mitchell..but had no explanation as to where they may be.

The particular ancestor that i am enqquiring about spent quite a bit of time in the Barnhill poor house, does anyone know if there are any histric ecords for this poorhouse held anywhere?

Thanks

Paul
REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
I think unfortunately, as the advisor mentioned, the records for Barnhill are incomplete/patchy  :-\ Mentioned here too www.workhouses.org.uk/Barony/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk