Author Topic: Charles Willie Blanchard Bolton  (Read 2025 times)

Offline maribel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Willie Blanchard Bolton
« on: Thursday 24 September 15 13:28 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about Charles. I know he was in the Jersey Militia in 1913, and worked as an architect. He married Ada Constance West c. 1923? and there are copies of her will and his mother's (Louisa Emily Bolton) in Jersey Archive. I do not know when any of them died. Ada was in Jersey during the occupation, but I do not know about Charles and his mother. They lived at Valrosa, Vallee des Vaux, St Helier but until when?
I would be most grateful if anyone can fill in any of the holes in the above.

maribel

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Willie Blanchard Bolton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
There was nobody else that I can see living at Valrosa (Val Rosa) during the occupation.

Ada Constance made her will in Nov 1940, the small date at the bottom of the catalogue entry, December 23rd 1955, is when probate was granted so she would have died a short while before that.
The same applies to the will of Louisa Emily Bolton née Mansell who must have died shortly before September 19th 1945.

Offline maribel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this.  I have not managed to find their deaths in UK. Did they die in Jersey? And if Louisa died in Jersey in Sept 1945 she was there during the occupation?

I am afraid I know very little about Jersey Records - Louisa was my husband's great grandmother. Her own grandfather came from Gurensey, James Perchard Mansell, but that is a different story. I would love to find out what happened to Louisa, and her son Charles W B

maribel

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
You don't say when/where Charles was born, is this his birth registration
September qtr 1883 
Charles Willie B    Bolton   
Camberwell reg district    1d   788
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Louisa was  not necessarily in Jersey during the Occupation as the island was liberated of May 9th 1945. If she had been there should be a Registration card in her name and there isn't one showing in the catalogue.

Offline maribel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. Yes rosie99 that is Charles W Blanchard.s birth record. His mother was born in Doncaster in 1853.
We have had a lot of conflicting family information it has been quite tricky finding anything. However Charles' string of names has helped.

I have not been able to find a death record for either Charles or Louisa in England.

Maribel

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
The probate date on Louisa's will is misleading as I have now discovered that she died during the Occupation. This explains why there is no Reg card in her name as they were destroyed when the owners died.
In the Mont a l'Abbe cemetery records is the following entry,
'Louisa Emily Mansell, widow of John Bolton died the 8th November 1943 aged 91 years, buried November 10th in Block M, Plot 51, Grave N2'

Ada Constance died between October 1953 and January 1956, the entry is on page 79 of the index so probably in 1955.
Charles W B Bolton died between January 1956 and February 1958, the entry is on page 2 so it would have been right at the beginning of that time frame.
All of the above are entered in the indexes for St Helier.

Incidentally Blanchard is a surname that features quite strongly in the Channel Islands so I would guess that the name occurs somewhere in previous generations, most likely on the female side.

Offline maribel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 October 15 07:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help. It is good to be able to lay these people to rest. Louisa had an amazing(amazingly tough) life and I suspect her final years during the Occupation would not have been any easier.

I am so grateful for your help and time in looking these records up for me. I believe my father-in-law Derek Bolton inherited Val Rosa after CWB died, as family story says he travelled to Jersey to sort things out sometime in the 1950s, but he sold the property, which the family always regretted.

best wishes
Maribel