Author Topic: Waddell/Orr b. circa 1785, Paisley  (Read 1270 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waddell/Orr b. circa 1785, Paisley
« on: Thursday 24 September 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
I've reached a dead end with this line of my family, so wondering if any RootsChatters can shed any light.

William Waddell and Agnes Orr are my 3x great grandparents. They were both born in Paisley (according to the 1851 census) and married on 28 Sept 1806 in Glasgow (Barony). William was a hand loom weaver.

I have two possible OPRs for Agnes in Paisley: the first, 1 Mar 1787, to Robert Orr and Ann Parkhill; and the second, 19 Sep 1788, to John Orr and Agnes Anderson. Wondering if anyone has come across these two families, so I can rule one (or both!) of them out?

Can’t find any William Waddells baptised in Renfrewshire at all for the decade 1780-1790, although there are several suitable Waddell families with children baptised in Paisley around the right time. My hunch is favouring John Waddell and Janet Dick, who have five children baptised between 1781 and 1790 - with a convenient gap between 1784 and 1788 - but it’s really only wishful thinking  ::)

Some additional background on the family:

They had seven children born between 1808 and 1829 that I've found so far: John (abt. 1808); daughter (initial M) (abt. 1819); William - my 2x great grandfather, a blacksmith (abt. 1821); Marion (abt. 1823); Robert (1825); Alexander (1827); and James (1829). I suspect there are others in the gap between 1808 and 1819, but I haven't found them yet. All the children were born in Glasgow - I have baptism records for the last three boys, and the witnesses are either John, Robert or Alexander Waddell - presumably brothers/cousins of William.

The family is in Drygate Street, Glasgow in 1841 and 1851, and Agnes appears as a lodger in an unrelated household in 1861, along with (possibly) a grandchild, William Waddell. Agnes Waddell died in Glasgow City Poorhouse on 26 May 1863, aged 78, a widow - no parents names given, only the surname Orr. William Waddell must have died before 1855, as I can't find an SRI for him.

Not sure where to go next - any pointers, as ever, gratefully received  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline SuzanneBolwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waddell/Orr b. circa 1785, Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 16 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if this is helpful.
I have a Janet Dick born abt 1806 who married James Waddell 1825.
I am stuck finding Janet Dick's parents.

Suzanne