Author Topic: Mark Adams b.!816 and son John Adams b.1850 in Hereford  (Read 2992 times)

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mark Adams b.!816 and son John Adams b.1850 in Hereford
« on: Thursday 24 September 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
 I'm looking for the marriage of Mark Adam/s to Elizabeth probably about 1837-1840's. Their first child Martha was born in 1837 in Hereford.  I've found them on the 1851 census living in Pipe Lane, Hereford. John the youngest son was born in 1850 in Hereford and I've found two entries in Family Search Parish records,  The first on is John Adams christened on the 15.8.1850 at St.John the Baptist, and the second is John Adams b. 31.7.1850, christened 11.8.1850 at St.Nicholas-Wesleyan, Hereford. Has anyone any ideas whether a child would be christened in two different churches as both sets of parents are Mark and Elizabeth Adams. Could these be two different people.  Thanks for any help.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Adams b.!816 and son John Adams b.1850 in Hereford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 15 18:58 BST (UK) »
I can't see any other John born c 1850 Herefordshire with parents named Mark & Elizabeth Adam(s)
on the 1851 census  ???

This was the only baptism showing on Anc*y but it's only the index

John Adam Birth Date:   31 Jul 1850
Baptism Date:   11 Aug 1850   St Nicholas-Wesleyan,Hereford,Hereford,England
Father Mark Adam Mother: Elizabeth
FHL Film Number: 0595460 (RG4 676, 727)

There's also this baptism on familysearch

8 Aug 1844 Nantwich
James Adams f Mark m Elizabeth
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N4GV-8HF

This looks to be his birth entry on FreeBMD
Sep 1844 Nantwich  vol 19 page 156
James ADAMS
checked this on Cheshire BMD but unfortunately no mother's maiden name given  :(

Obtaining his b/c would confirm his mother’s maiden name, that would help with searching for their marriage
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 15 19:15 BST (UK) »
Have added details of 1851 census just in case anyone else can help

Pipe Lane Hereford
Mark ADAMS 36 Scotland occ Tailor
Elizabeth 40 Hereford
Martha 14 Hereford
James 8 Nantwich Cheshire
William 5 Scotland
John Adams 8 mths Hereford

Do you have them on 1841 census ?
What is Mark's occupation?

I checked Cheshire OPC for James and gives a different occupation for his father
Father occ Writer, Residence Nantwich
Additional info. Nant. Union Workhouse: From Glasgow
here's the link so you can check details http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 15 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I have the Birth cert. for James b.1844 but unfortunately his mother'.s maiden name isn't shown. The two entries for John's christening were on Family search, but they do look like the same person. I've also got the entry of the birth for John Adams on free bmd for 1850 but the registration district is Ludlow. I wonder if this could be him and if so why would he be registered there instead of Hereford. Yes I do have details of the  1841 census, it shows Mark living alone and born in Scotland. On several census his occupation is a Tailor

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 15 22:23 BST (UK) »
I don't think Mark is on his own on the 1841 census. If you look at the next page there is
Wellington Place, All Saints Worcester HO107/1209/2 folio 8 pg 12
Elizabeth Higings 26?
Martha 5
both not born in county

leading to this baptism 6 Oct 1836 Martha, daughter of Elizabeth Higgins
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NRC9-B9K

The 2 entries for John look to be the same person
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NB65-NGH

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYTV-343
but the birth entry in Ludlow isn't him as it the registration is in march qtr 1851, when the child was born 31 July 1850. There was no onus on the parents to register a child at that time, it was up to the registrar to chase up the registration.

Is there anything in box 5 (name, surname & maiden name of mother) on the birth cert for James?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline AlmaB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 September 15 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information Osprey. I hadn't turned the page on the 1841 census showing Elizabeth and Martha. You've now given me the name of Mark's partner, Elizabeth Higgins which I've been looking for.  Even though I have the Birth cert. of James Adams b.1844 there is no information on Elizabeth's maiden name. It states name of Mother, Elizabeth Adams.  It looks as though they were unmarried in 1841and perhaps they never did.  I'll continue searching.  Also thanks for the info. regarding the John Adams registered in Ludlow I realise now that they can't be the same person.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
it does look as though they didn't marry. And that means no father's name on a marriage cert to follow back. I haven't found a likely baptism for Elizabeth as yet.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Lookedin2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 November 19 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I have the Birth cert. for James b.1844 but unfortunately his mother'.s maiden name isn't shown. The two entries for John's christening were on Family search, but they do look like the same person. I've also got the entry of the birth for John Adams on free bmd for 1850 but the registration district is Ludlow. I wonder if this could be him and if so why would he be registered there instead of Hereford. Yes I do have details of the  1841 census, it shows Mark living alone and born in Scotland. On several census his occupation is a Tailor

Offline Lookedin2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 November 19 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information Osprey. I hadn't turned the page on the 1841 census showing Elizabeth and Martha. You've now given me the name of Mark's partner, Elizabeth Higgins which I've been looking for.  Even though I have the Birth cert. of James Adams b.1844 there is no information on Elizabeth's maiden name. It states name of Mother, Elizabeth Adams.  It looks as though they were unmarried in 1841and perhaps they never did.  I'll continue searching.  Also thanks for the info. regarding the John Adams registered in Ludlow I realise now that they can't be the same person.
[/quote

Hi could I ask what happened to Charles Adams James twin as he wasn't mentioned in the 1851 Census and I take it that the fact that Marks wife is named William is a typo.