Author Topic: Beattie Marriage !!  (Read 2440 times)

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Beattie Marriage !!
« on: Friday 25 September 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi All.
I am in need of some help;I have been trying to find a marriage for William Beattie who was born 19 May 1845 to William Beattie & Janet Agnes Callander in Kirkcudbright,to this date I have been very unlucky. I have been able to locate him in the 1851 census,but after that date  ??????????????????????????

I would appreciate any information what soever

TIA Baldy
Beattie,Sproat,Thom(p)son,Ferguson,Callander,Cook,Wood,Smith,Grierson,Jamieson

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie Marriage !!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
I managed to find him in 1861 at Hallhill, Irongray, Kirkcudbrightshire.
William   Beattie   Servant   Unmarried   15   1846   General Servant   Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire

There were two marriages in Kirkudbrightshire, 1870 & 1875 but neither seem likely. I do not think he was in the county in 1871, I think it is possible he moved to England, several possibles but only noted as born Scotland.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
I think this is his family, which seems to have moved to Tinwald and appears in the 1861 census there:

William Beattie   47   Head   Ploughman   b.1814   Kirkmichael
Janet Beattie     47   Wife                         b.1814   Penpont
Ebenezer Beattie   12   Son   Scholar       b.1849  Kirkbean
Thomas Beattie   10   Son   Scholar         b.1851   Kirkbean
William Beattie   5   Grandson   Scholar   b.1856   Dunscore

There is no sign here of the son, William, but the 'grandson' could possibly be an enumerator's error. I have seen an image of Ebenezer's death at Troqueer/Maxwelltown in 1907 that confirms the parents as William Beattie and Janet Callander.  There is, by the way, another son called James, who was present at Ebenezer's death.

Regards
Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 September 15 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks
Thank you for replies. Landjl:- Yes that is the family that I am connected to & attempting to get further information on.The G/son:-There was a William born to Robet Beattie (son of William & Janet) in 1864 in Troqueer ??he died in 1941 in the Dumfries Infirmary.
It is confirmed that William was born 19 May 1845,and christened 22 May 1845.

Ebenezer (Ebenyzer) :-Yes he was born 21 Jan 1848 in Kirkbean. died 18 June 1907 at 61 Glasgow Street Maxwelltown.
I too believe that they moved to Tinwald (as some of my research shows other family in there),but after that I cannot find/see William..He is like the elusive Pimpernal ?????

TIA   Baldy
Beattie,Sproat,Thom(p)son,Ferguson,Callander,Cook,Wood,Smith,Grierson,Jamieson