Author Topic: FAIRBAIRN - Coldstream  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Shazz61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FAIRBAIRN - Coldstream
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
ok just had another look at marriage record and one of the witnesses was James Fairbairn......her father possibly

Westwood
Catarinich
Beverly
Allamby
Angell
Allan
Corney
Alliban
Giddings

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
I do not think these are particularly joined up but it might be worth checking on Scotlands People.

A James Fairbairn married Margrat Fair 30 April 1695, Edam, Roxburghshire.
                              4 births at Ednam on SP/

A James Fairburn married Mary Archibald 26 November 1694 Coldstream, Berwickshire

A James Fairbairn had a son James Fairbairn baptised Coldstream, Berwickshire 26 Sep 1703
                             Only birth noted at Coldstream on SP   

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Looking for Margaret FAIRBAIRN from Coldstream who married Robert STEWART in Kelso 15 Nov 1720

Thank you

What's your take on Robert STEWART, if I may ask? Seems to me he may be the Robert born in Kelso in 1696 to Thomas STEWART and Isobel WHITE, but I note that the recorded children of Robert STEWART and Margaret FAIRBAIRN are Mary(1722), George(1724), Robert(1727) and Elizabeth(1729), with seemingly no Thomas or Isobel.

Another possible Robert, less likely even that one, is the Robert born in 1700 at Bowden to John STEWART and Isobell WIGHT.

The witnesses to the wedding of Robert STEWART and Margaret FAIRBAIRN in Kelso in 1720 were Richard STEWART and James FAIRBAIRN.

I had STEWART ancestors in Kelso, culminating in my 3 x great-grandfather Richard STEWART who was born there in 1799. His illegitimate son James and James's daughter Martha STEWART were born in Hawick. I wrote an article about my Kelso STEWARTS for the journal of the Borders Family History Society. I trace them back to John STEWART and Janet STEWART who were married there in 1692. Their son Thomas STEWART was married in 1716 to Susanna MILLER from Fogo in Berwickshire. Most of the male STEWARTS were butchers.

Harry

Offline LornaHen

• RootsChat Extra
  • A step backwards is great progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the folks at the Fairbairn Surname One Name Study ??
They have lines on dozens of Fairbairns around Kelso.
A James Fairburn married Mary Archibald 26 November 1694 Coldstream, Berwickshire

A James Fairbairn had a son James Fairbairn baptised Coldstream, Berwickshire 26 Sep 1703
                             Only birth noted at Coldstream on SP   

Colin
Looking for Margaret FAIRBAIRN from Coldstream who married Robert STEWART in Kelso 15 Nov 1720

Thank you
Thanks for the plug Ian999
Only a fraction of the Fairbairn data is published on the pages, (http://fairbairn.lornahen.com) but that said, no hard data on a Margaret marrying a STEWART's origins squirrelled away.
From the first daughter shown in other messages as Mary, and the James as witness, my money would be on Margaret as being a daughter of the James FAIRBURN marrying Mary ARCHIBALD posted by Colin - but there's no son James mentioned -  "rules" are made to be broken, so that's hardly conclusive

Lorna
SCT: Henderson, Wight, Sinton, Fairbairn, Bain, Manson, Davidson, Runciman, Familton
ENG: Rowe, King, Barter, Andrews, Turnbull, Baty, Graham
NZ: Henderson, Andrews, Rowe, Turnbull
http://LornaHen.com
http://dnasurnames.info/

Offline Shazz61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
Good Evening everyone.....thank you for all your help with this family

my head is spinning atm  :D

I am going away for a few days, so I will have a chance to get my head around all the information you have given me

Will get back to you all next week, have a great weekend and thank you again for your help

Regards
Sharyn
Westwood
Catarinich
Beverly
Allamby
Angell
Allan
Corney
Alliban
Giddings