Author Topic: Isabella Denholm from Berwickshire  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Denholm from Berwickshire
« on: Sunday 27 September 15 03:14 BST (UK) »
My 3x great grandmother was Isabella Denholm who married John Robertson.  They lived in Edrom, Berwickshire. I have found a death certificate for an Isabella Robertson whose husband was John Robertson, previously a ploughman and  her parents are named as James Denholm and Elizabeth Aitken. I have found information for 2 Isabella Denholms  married to a John Robertson with parents named James Denholm and Elizabeth or Betty Aitken.

One entry states the baptism 3/1/1808 in Duns to Betty(often short for Elizabeth) Aitken and James Denholm, and the other one states the birth as 2/8/1809 and baptism as 10/9/1809 in Hutton to Elizabeth Aitken and James Denholm.

I have a marriage entry dated 1/6/1832 to John Robertson in Dunse which according to census documents is where Isabella was born.
The other entry is dated 18/5/1832 to John Robertson in Cockburnspath which according to census documents is where John was born.
I have not been able to find any other death entries for Elizabeth Robertson other than the one stated above.
Can anyone help with this? Much appreciated
Margaret

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Denholm from Berwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
Just a suggestion:
Perhaps there were two Isabellas, the first one dying an infant and the second one being named after her - as very often happened.
As for the marriages - the one in Cockburnspath would be banns, which would have to be called in both the bride's and the groom's parish.
In other words there was only one living Isabella and only one marriage.
Bev.
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Denholm from Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 15 09:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I hadn't thought of that and sounds very feasible. I will follow that up.
Regards
Margaret