Author Topic: Birth of Ellen Sheather possibly 3 Apr 1836  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth of Ellen Sheather possibly 3 Apr 1836
« on: Sunday 27 September 15 05:58 BST (UK) »
Ellen Sheather migrated to Australia on board the Royal George arriving 12 Mar 1839 with her parents Henry Sheather and Mary nee Button and 6 siblings.

It is said that Ellen was born 3 Apr 1836 in Brede Sussex but the immigrant papers state the family was from Dorsetshire. 

I am unable to locate a birth for Ellen and am hoping for some assistance. :(

Westy

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Ellen Sheather possibly 3 Apr 1836
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
On another site someone has Ellen Sheather as being baptised 3rd April 1836 at Udimore Sussex with the same parents  - citing the source as the parish records at Lewis. I believe Udimore and Brede are only a couple of miles apart

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 September 15 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks LMFAO

I don't know what it is I am not doing correctly because I simply cannot locate her.  Do you have a web address perhaps?

Westy

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Westy,

There seems to be a few errors on the page listing the passengers, one being the native place of Dorsetshire, Silas is listed as 40? and wife Mary is not on there.
But the following is detailed very well. Index to Bounty Immigrants. GS Film 416876, Digital Folder 4117088, Image Number 02671. Ship: Royal George, arrival 10 Mar 1839.
Henry Sheather, agriculturist, C of E, 40 yrs old, can read and write, native of Brede Sussex, father: Sheather William,
mother: Elizabeth, wife: Sheather Mary, dairywoman, C of E, 38 yrs, can't read or write, native of Hawkhurst Kent, father: Butters William (carter), mother: Mary
Children; Silas 16, Rueben 12, Edgar 9, Lewis 9, Harriet 16, Eliza 14, Julia 5, Ellen 3.
Brother to James, also on board with wife and family. Thomas Millham, son of wife Mary by a former husband also on board.

James Sheather, farm lab, Prot, 40 yrs, can read and write, native of Beckley Sussex, father: Sheather William (farmer in Brede), mother: Cook Elizabeth, wife: Sheather Mary, farm lab, Prot, 39 yrs, can read a little, native of Beckley Sussex, father: Millham James (lab in Ewehurst), mother: Sargeant Esther.
Children; Edward 14, Samuel 10, Spenser 8, William 6, George 5, Frederick 2, Augusta 12, daughter born on board 24 Jan 1839, sons James and John by former wife also on board, under single men.

What a bonanza of information! Sadly I cannot find any online records for births or marriages for this period in Brede.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much jomcd967 for the wealth of information.  Good to know that the other family came as well.   :)

Westy