Author Topic: poorhouses around edinburgh  (Read 2299 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
poorhouses around edinburgh
« on: Sunday 27 September 15 11:08 BST (UK) »
I have decided that to try and find my grt grandfathers birth mother to write to all of the poorhouses in the districts around edinborough. then I can find the person ewho died in childbirth and also see if the poorhousee was a church run place which might also have adoption papers fr my grtgrt grandparents taking on john as their son, he was william and she was johanne I think from memory. might be wrong she his wife could have been christina.but need some help or ointers maybe some links to follow.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: poorhouses around edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Have a look at: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Edinburgh/
Which also lists other institutions.

Records are with Edinburgh City Archives; so it might be best to start there?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcie

We've tried to help you out before, this one from 2013 mentions other related topics

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=650603.0
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Marcie,
I've been looking at the various threads re John Laidlaw. I'm not sure where you have found the connection between the Leveson-Gower family and Clerwood House as this appears to have been occupied by Robert Tod, a Mill- Owner ( born 1827 Haddingtonshire) and his family during the period you are interested in. Family ( plus servants) can be found on 1871/ 1881 and 1891 census.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 September 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry, ignore my previous post as I see it is Clermiston House you are interested in.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 September 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
Clermiston House was owned by William MacFie a Sugar Merchant and Landowner ( born 1822 Leith) during the period you are interested in. There is mention of William MacFie of Clermiston as a subscriber to a national memorial for the Prince Consort in 1862 and he erected Corstorphine Hill Tower in 1871. He died in Clermiston House in 1895. The family can be found there on the 1881 and 1891 census.
Isobel

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 September 15 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Isobel

Thanks for trying to help Marcie.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MikeBR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 November 15 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear Marcie,
One of Edinburgh's  poor houses was in the 'Greenbank' area of what is now greater Edinburgh. It was situated opposite what was 'The City [fever] Hospital'
The difficulty when searching records is that when a birth or death happened there, was the address is listed as '144 Comiston Road' [quite a salubrious part of Edinburgh then and now] because the Lodge house was situated at 144 Comiston Road about 300 yards south of what is South Morningside School.  The actual Poor House as about 1 mile west of Comiston road at the end of a very long drive, so the gentile lady's of Edinburgh would not be offended by seeing the Poor. only found this out when trying to trace the death of a relative who I knew was of very limited meens and found that they died 144 Comiston Road an then doing more research. The buildings are all still there and are now part of an upmarket development called 'The Steils'.
Critchton, Ronaldson, Brock, Lipscombe, Ireland, Scott, Beatles, Stewart

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
Clermiston House was owned by William MacFie a Sugar Merchant and Landowner ( born 1822 Leith) during the period you are interested in. There is mention of William MacFie of Clermiston as a subscriber to a national memorial for the Prince Consort in 1862 and he erected Corstorphine Hill Tower in 1871. He died in Clermiston House in 1895. The family can be found there on the 1881 and 1891 census.
Isobel
I am curious why you link Clermiston House to the Duke of Sutherland/ Leveson Gower family. There is no evidence that they ever lived there. Please see my previous post (copied above)regarding ownership of the house at the time you are interested in.
Isobel