Author Topic: Medal Identification Help  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Medal Identification Help
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 September 15 14:42 BST (UK) »
Yes I've found the stars relating to the US medals but nothing for the British Army.  All his service was out in the Middle East and India.  He was mentioned in dispatches for something he did in Mesopotamia.   Going dizzy with googling and all the different medals and ribbons  ;D which was when I decided to ask for Rootschat help.  I'll give it another go.

Thanks to you both.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 September 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
I've still not found any reference to the stars. Let us know if you do find out.  :) I'm curious to know.

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Will do  :D

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 September 15 02:15 BST (UK) »
The American version would seem to be the Silver Service Star.
The French awarded the Croix de Guerre, 1914-1918 with star on ribbon. The Star on the ribbon was awarded for citations.
Ribbon devices

Citations (same as the Croix de guerre 1914-1918):

a bronze star for regimental or brigade level citations;
    a silver star for divisional level citations;
    a silver-gilt star for corps level citations;
    a bronze palm for army level citations;
    a silver palm represents five bronze ones

It may relate to the "Mesopotamia mention in dispatches".

Regards

Malky

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 September 15 03:39 BST (UK) »
This has been bugging me and I've looked again, but still found nothing related to the star.

Malky, I came across the things you mentioned but nothing specific to the service medal. You would expect to find some images of the same medal with the star on the internet somewhere, unless this is a rare 'citation'?  :-\

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 September 15 07:47 BST (UK) »
I wondered if this was unofficially given as a "Comradery" token for some deed done, perhaps in conjunction with the Mesopotamia citation.

Regards

Malky

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 September 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions.  I wondered if the star wasn't supposed to be there if you know what I mean but I also have the miniature "mess dress" set of the same medals and the star is there as well.

With regard to Mesopotamia, the only information I have relating to the MID is from the London Gazette dated 23rd August 1918, where he was included on a list by W R Marshall, Lieut-General, Commanding in Chief, Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force.  He gives a list of names and says "whose distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty I consider deserving of a special mention".  The Despatch was dated 15 April 1918.

Luzzu

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 September 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
Found this picture ref the metal star:

The bronze oak leaf is "Mentioned in Dispatches"

The medal on the right is the commemorative medal for the coronation of King George VI: