Author Topic: Feathers Street, Flint in 1870s?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Feathers Street, Flint in 1870s?
« on: Sunday 27 September 15 18:12 BST (UK) »
I've got a certain connection with someone who lodged in Feathers Street in 1870s, and actually went there and took some photos last year, but half the street (at least) is very modern, and I wonder if there is a photo of the street at about the time this man would have been lodging there? I would guess it wasn't ever a "posh" area, he was a miner, and there seemed to be plenty of Pubs in the area, but does anyone know of a decent image of it at about this time, please?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Feathers Street, Flint in 1870s?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
Got these from http://www.fflint.co.uk/thumbs18.html

I doubt you'll find any Victorian pictures.
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 September 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
I thought Victorian images unlikely, and had simply googled "old photos feather street flint". From the same site thought this had a feel of the past

www.fflint.co.uk/sta.jpg

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
I think the building(pub?) at the end of the street is still there, and it looked turn-of-the-century to me when I was taking pics there. Thank you for your kind efforts, hanes teulu, and Shep. I thought a few buildings o one side had enough period details to look right when I was there, and just wondered what if other side ( which of course had the house I wanted) had been the same.
Again, my grateful thanks.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 08:08 BST (UK) »
Welsh newspaper's on line   http://newspapers.library.wales

The search key "feather's street" or "feathers street" returns a number of hits - no pics, but reading the items might give a flavour of the place? They don't all relate to Flint. You can use the date slider bar to limit your search to the period you are interested in.

If you spot a name/house number that's of interest, but it's in Welsh, and you might need a translation, you can PM me for details

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 17:44 BST (UK) »
To provide a translation service is a most kind offer - I become dumbstruck when map reading in wales, sadly. I shall promptly seek out that site, and have a happy time hunting about. I assume it's history was ... not very salubrious . Thank you again, hanes teulu.

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Got these from http://www.fflint.co.uk/thumbs18.html

I doubt you'll find any Victorian pictures.

These are Victorian buildings. They all appear in the census returns. I was born in no 68 which I understand is next to the large building at the end which was a chapel. At the other end was a pub and the police station There is footage on youtube of these houses being demolished to make way for the flats (circa 1965) They lasted over 120 years and now the flats are being demolished. They lasted 50 years!
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 November 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Ha! Isn't that just the way. When I looked in real life at the street, one side did look as if it was originally Victorian - well, mid-to-late, at least. the chap I was thinking of lived there in 1870s, so it would have been very different then. Thank you for the input, Eldon.

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 November 15 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that there any properties in Feather Street, today. What you are probably referring to are structures at the back of Church Street. All the houses were on the opposite side with even numbers. 2 was the pub, 4 the police station all the way up to the other end where the large building (aerial photo) was a chapel. They were all demolished. Another factor is that the numbers varies from census to census. In one census there was a  house 78, but most have a maximum of 68. Inhabitants were mostly labourers and chemical workers. I am trying to find a street map which shows all the house numbers, circa 1950.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire