Author Topic: Welsh family from Hawick  (Read 2440 times)

Offline antrimlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welsh family from Hawick
« on: Monday 28 September 15 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am wanting to connect with anyone who is connected or has any info what so ever on the Welsh family from Hawick, My two times grandfather was Robert Ballantyne Welsh, (Grocer-Confectioner),who infact married three times.I hail from his second wife Margaret Chisholm who gave birth to my grandfather Robert Welsh who then fathered my father Walter Thomas Heriot Welsh.My father and mother migrated to Australia in 1959. Both are deceased my father dying at the cruel age of 45 in 1968 only ten years after we all migrated.My fathers brother Robert Welsh was our only link and he died in 1977 having never married. I am desperate for any info what so ever and if anyone would have photos that would be unbelievable. Regards To All Fellow Searcher

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh family from Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome
Are you looking for his ancestors ?
Can you say what you have already ?
Are his parents Thomas & Jane ?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 September 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of putting this on the Scottish board that covers Hawick?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
Oh, and I've just remembered a free Site called "Talking Scot" that can be very helpful.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline antrimlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 06:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your tips and responding so quickly to my post. Robert Ballantyne Welshs father was Thomas Welsh 1807-1898 and his mother was Jane keddie 1810-1870. He was married three times- Wife 1 was Margaret Wilson who had 4 children and who died in childbirth or shortly after i think? Wife 2- My maternal line was Margaret Chisholm who had 7 children to him and once again died in childbirth or shortly after, Wife 3 was Isabella Dalrymple with whom he had two children. The third wife had been married and widowed left with three children of her own. Her married name had been Bell. I am also hoping to find out info on the Keddie family of Hawick also if anyone has any info.I believe he is buried in Wilton Cemetary. Does this still exist? My fathers address when he lived in Hawick was 1, Frank Place.This is no longer there as far as i know. His father Robert Welsh (My Grandfather) ran a confectioner shop in High Street as his father before him. My fathers brother Robert Welsh worked i think at the Wilson Knitting Mills for forty years before his death in 1977. My fathers mother (My Grandmother) was  Jeannie Elder who was the daughter of Walter Grieves Elder and Mary Elizabeth Stark.I hope this helps a little.Thank you so much once agaian

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Can you be a bit more specific on what it is you are looking for.
Asking for "info on" could mean anything & it saves on duplicating what you already have.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 15 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am wanting to connect with anyone who is connected or has any info what so ever on the Welsh family from Hawick, My two times grandfather was Robert Ballantyne Welsh, (Grocer-Confectioner),who infact married three times.I hail from his second wife Margaret Chisholm who gave birth to my grandfather Robert Welsh who then fathered my father Walter Thomas Heriot Welsh.My father and mother migrated to Australia in 1959. Both are deceased my father dying at the cruel age of 45 in 1968 only ten years after we all migrated.My fathers brother Robert Welsh was our only link and he died in 1977 having never married. I am desperate for any info what so ever and if anyone would have photos that would be unbelievable. Regards To All Fellow Searcher

Hi. I was about to call it a day and give up on email and genealogy forums for tonight, then I checked Rootschat one last time and saw your posts. Absolutely amazing! I have far more info about our mutual Welsh ancestors than I can put into one post, so I'll need to contact you privately.

Briefly, just to give you a taste, your Thomas Welsh (b.1807) had an older brother called Christopher (b.1800) and an older sister called Martha (b.1803). In the past I've corresponded with direct descendants of both Christopher and Thomas, but unfortunately both persons are now dead. The descendant of Christopher was depute rector (deputy headmaster) of a secondary school in Edinburgh, and the descendant of Thomas was a customs officer, among other things, in England. The sister of Christopher and Thomas, Martha Welsh, was my 3 x great-grandmother. There was also a sister called Agnes but I don't know any more about her.

The parents of the four children were Thomas Welsh and Jean Ballantyne, who were married in Glasgow in 1795. Thomas was then a soldier in the 7th Regiment of Fencibles, also known as the Southern or Hopetoun Fencibles, who were stationed in Glasgow. The regiment had been raised at Linlithgow in 1793 by the Earl of Hopetoun. Jean Ballantyne was a "residenter" or resident of Glasgow, and I believe she was born there. I believe Thomas Welsh was born in the parish of Castleton in Roxburghshire, and after being demobbed from the army he became coachman to a gentleman called Gilbert Chisholm Esq. in Wilton, Hawick. Thereby hangs a tale! I know a lot about Thomas Welsh from the Wanted notices about him printed in the Edinburgh Courant and Kelso Mail in July 1808, when the procurator fiscal's office in Hawick was taking a keen interest in his whereabouts.

Your distant cousin who was descended like you from Thomas Welsh (b.1807) was an enterprising individual who managed to contact quite a few relatives and they actually started up a little newsletter, purely for descendants of this Thomas Welsh. This had been going on for some time before I came on the scene, and they kindly sent me some copies of their newsletter. One of them has a photo of Robert Welsh the confectioner, which I'll scan for you. This will give me something to do tomorrow!

I look forward to hearing from you, either on this forum or by PM.

Harry (in Edinburgh)

Offline antrimlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry in Edinburgh, I cant believe my luck? Thank You so much for replying to me.I would love to contact you privately if that is possible? How do we go about it ?Do i just give my email via this site?I am so thrilled with the information you have already given. I am a bit in shock. Looking forward to talking again- Regards Margaret From Australia

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 October 15 17:49 GMT (UK) »
antrimlass, I have sent you a PM re this family, also see my post on Sunday, 15th April, 2015, re the same family.  Do NOT post your email address on RootsChat as it will be removed i.e. not allowed.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php